Skip to content

Food Premises Approval

This page provides information about the Council's service to approve a business that prepares or handles food including the application process, how to apply, when you can start and exemptions.

If your business makes, prepares or handles food of animal origin for sale to other businesses, it may need approval from the Council in addition to being registered.

Food of animal origin includes:

  1. meat and poultry, whether fresh, frozen or cooked;
  2. meat products such as pies, sausage rolls, faggots, black pudding or bacon;
  3. raw or partially cooked minced meat or meat preparations such as sausages, burgers, marinated raw meat and kebab meat;
  4. fish or fish products such as fish fingers, prawns, lobsters, crabs and crayfish, whether dead or alive;
  5. live bivalve molluscs;
  6. ready meals containing fish or meat;
  7. milk and dairy products such as butter, cream, cheese, yoghurt and ice cream;
  8. frogs legs and snails;
  9. rendered animal fats and other animal by products such as gelatine, collagen, stomachs, bladders and intestines; and
  10. honey and blood.

The Regulation (EC) 852/204 requires that certain types of food premises, such as manufacturers of products of animal origin such as dairies, meat product manufacturers or fish processes have specific approval from the local authority. Generally, their products must also display a health mark or be accompanied by a health certificate.

Each authority, including places in the European Union (EU), has a unique code, so that the origin of the food can always be traced. This is very important if a problem is discovered with food and it has to be withdrawn from circulation.

Application and evaluation process

To obtain an approval, your business must meet certain structural and procedural standards set out in;

Regulation (ec) no 853-2004 hygiene rules for food of animal origin (PDF Document, 271.9 Kb) and
Regulation (ec) no 852-2004 hygiene of foodstuffs (PDF Document, 110.7 Kb).

You must apply in writing, giving details such as:

  1. what types of food you intend to produce and in what quantities;
  2. the design, construction and layout of the premises;
  3. arrangements for maintenance;
  4. pest control procedures;
  5. arrangements for applying the health mark;
  6. arrangements for staff health monitoring;
  7. food safety control and monitoring systems and record keeping;
  8. arrangements for cleaning of premises, equipment, utensils and transport including what cleaning chemicals you intend to use;
  9. your food water sampling plan;
  10. which laboratory you intend to use for carrying out analysis of food and water samples; and
  11. arrangements for staff training.

This is not an exhaustive list but an example of the detail that must be approved by the council before we grant approval for the premises.

How do I apply for food premises approval?

You can download and complete a food premises approval application form and send it to us.

Food Business - Application for Approval (PDF Document, 45.75 Kb)

Or alternatively, you can apply online here

Click to tell us about a change of the details of your existing food premises approval.

There is no charge to submit your application.

When can I begin my business activity?

When the Council has given you full approval or conditional approval in writing for the activity you are proposing. If you do begin business before consent is given, you are committing an offence under Regulation (EC) 853/2004 and the Council will take appropriate enforcement action against you.

Refusal of approval

If your application is refused, you will be notified in writing of the reasons why and what you need to do to satisfy the approval requirements.

You may also appeal against the decision to a magistrates' court. This must be within one month from the date of the refusal notice. You may wish to consult a legal advisor about the implications of a refusal notice and your right of appeal against our decision on your application.

Public register

Once your application is approved, details of the premises and information about the types of food produced are forwarded to the Food Standards Agency and placed on a central European Union register.


There are some exemptions from the requirement to be approved. If your business supplies food of animal original to the final consumer, that is the person who eats the food product, it will be exempt from approval. It may also be exempt depending on the extent to which you supply food of original origin to other businesses.

Registration of your food premises

Whether or not your food business requires food premises approval, it must still be registered as a food premises with the Council.

Complaints about the service

Contact us if you are not happy about how we have dealt with your food premises registration, or you have just cause to complain about another food business premises in the borough of Oadby and Wigston.

Last updated: Thursday, 30 May 2013 2:10 pm

Back to top