Skip to content

How do I apply for help with my rent or council tax?

You can apply for both Housing Benefit (help with your rent) and Council Tax Benefit (help with your Council Tax) by completing the Council's housing and council tax benefit application form. However, if you have already filled in the Benefits Agency form (HCTB1 or Local Authority Input Document) along with an application for Income Support or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance, you do not need to also complete the Council form unless you wish to claim Housing Benefit as a tenant of a private landlord.
You will need to submit all the documentary proof that is asked for (original documents only) including evidence of your identity and your National Insurance number. For further information please go to the Information Required page.
Please answer all the questions on the form, and provide the necessary supporting evidence as quickly as possible, to allow us to assess your claim promptly. If you don't have the documentary evidence immediately available do not delay submitting your claim for housing and council tax benefit otherwise you may lose benefit to which you are entitled. (See question 5 regarding backdating of entitlement.)
For more information go to the Housing and Council Tax benefit entitlement page.

Related Pages (9)

  • Council Tax Support

    This page provides information about the new Council Tax Support scheme for Oadby and Wigston Borough Council. The scheme has been approved by local members and comes into effect from 1 April 2013.

  • Council Tax Support Scheme

    The page provides details of the Council Tax Support Scheme which comes into effect from 1st April 2013. The scheme is based upon the Government's scheme, called the default scheme. This web page also includes summarised details of approved changes to the default scheme.

  • Discretionary Council Tax Support

    This page provides information about discretionary support that can be claimed to help people pay their Council Tax. The funding for this support is provided jointly by the County Council, Fire, Police and Oadby and Wigston Borough Council.

  • Housing benefit - backdating claims

    This page gives information on whether housing benefit and council tax support can be backdated to a date earlier than when you submitted your benefit application form.

  • Discretionary Payments

    This page contains details about Discretionary Housing Payments and Discretionary Council Tax Support Payments.

  • Help and advice about benefits

    Contact details for organisations giving help and advice on a range of benefits, including our helpline service for our residents offering advice on all types of benefits, not just those administered by us.

  • Information required to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

    This page deals with what information is required in order to assess a claim for housing and council tax support.

  • Landlords and Agents

    This page gives advice for Landlords and Agents with tenants who are claiming Housing Benefit. It also provides a leaflet to be downloaded with additional information.

  • Local Housing Allowance Rates

    This page gives the weekly the Local Housing Allowance rates for the current month and the previous month. These rates will be used when calculating your housing benefit.

Back to top