Skip to content

How will my benefit be paid?

Your weekly entitlement to council tax benefit will be converted to an annual amount, credited directly to your Council Tax account and be deducted from the balance that is due to be paid.

Payment of Housing Benefit will depend upon the type of your tenancy and other circumstances for example:

If you are a Council tenant then your weekly entitlement will be credited to your rent account so that the actual weekly rent that you pay will be the difference between the full rent and your housing benefit entitlement.

If you are a tenant of a private or Registered Social Landlord then your Housing Benefit entitlement may be paid either, to you, or to your landlord, by BACS (Bankers Automated Credit System) straight into a bank account or by cheque. If it is paid to you then you will be paid in arrears every 2 weeks but if it is paid to your landlord it will be paid in arrears every 4 weeks. You can sometimes decide who should receive the payment. However, if you are 8 weeks or more in arrears with your rent your landlord can insist that housing benefit be paid directly to them. Claims made now, at a new address, will be subject to the Local Housing Allowance rules which mean that, with certain exceptions, housing benefit is only paid to the tenant.

Related Pages (10)

  • Council Tax Support

    This page provides information about the new Council Tax Support scheme for Oadby and Wigston Borough Council. The scheme has been approved by local members and comes into effect from 1 April 2013.

  • Council Tax Support Scheme

    The page provides details of the Council Tax Support Scheme which comes into effect from 1st April 2013. The scheme is based upon the Government's scheme, called the default scheme. This web page also includes summarised details of approved changes to the default scheme.

  • Discretionary Council Tax Support

    This page provides information about discretionary support that can be claimed to help people pay their Council Tax. The funding for this support is provided jointly by the County Council, Fire, Police and Oadby and Wigston Borough Council.

  • Housing benefit - backdating claims

    This page gives information on whether housing benefit and council tax support can be backdated to a date earlier than when you submitted your benefit application form.

  • Discretionary Payments

    This page contains details about Discretionary Housing Payments and Discretionary Council Tax Support Payments.

  • Help and advice about benefits

    Contact details for organisations giving help and advice on a range of benefits, including our helpline service for our residents offering advice on all types of benefits, not just those administered by us.

  • Information required to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

    This page deals with what information is required in order to assess a claim for housing and council tax support.

  • Landlords and Agents

    This page gives advice for Landlords and Agents with tenants who are claiming Housing Benefit. It also provides a leaflet to be downloaded with additional information.

  • Local Housing Allowance Rates

    This page gives the weekly the Local Housing Allowance rates for the current month and the previous month. These rates will be used when calculating your housing benefit.

  • Housing Benefit - Changes in Circumstances

    This page provides information about the importance of notifying the council regarding changes in their circumstances.

Back to top