Skip to content

If someone comes to live with me will this affect my housing benefit and council tax benefit?

If that person is your spouse, civil partner or partner (same or opposite sex) then you will need to be re-assessed as a couple and that will involve taking account of your joint circumstances.
If the person is aged 18 or over, and lives with you on a non-commercial basis they will need to be treated as a 'non-dependant' for housing and council tax benefit purposes, and in most situations this will affect your entitlement. Normally a non-dependant deduction will be made from your entitlement based upon the circumstances of the person new to your household.
To prevent any overpayment of housing and council tax benefit it is always safer to report all changes in your household/family arrangements and the Council will then be able to advise if the change affects your entitlement.

Related Pages (9)

  • Council Tax Support

    This page provides information about the new Council Tax Support scheme for Oadby and Wigston Borough Council. The scheme has been approved by local members and comes into effect from 1 April 2013.

  • Council Tax Support Scheme

    The page provides details of the Council Tax Support Scheme which comes into effect from 1st April 2013. The scheme is based upon the Government's scheme, called the default scheme. This web page also includes summarised details of approved changes to the default scheme.

  • Discretionary Council Tax Support

    This page provides information about discretionary support that can be claimed to help people pay their Council Tax. The funding for this support is provided jointly by the County Council, Fire, Police and Oadby and Wigston Borough Council.

  • Discretionary Payments

    This page contains details about Discretionary Housing Payments and Discretionary Council Tax Support Payments.

  • Help and advice about benefits

    Contact details for organisations giving help and advice on a range of benefits, including our helpline service for our residents offering advice on all types of benefits, not just those administered by us.

  • Information required to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

    This page deals with what information is required in order to assess a claim for housing and council tax support.

  • Landlords and Agents

    This page gives advice for Landlords and Agents with tenants who are claiming Housing Benefit. It also provides a leaflet to be downloaded with additional information.

  • Local Housing Allowance Rates

    This page gives the weekly the Local Housing Allowance rates for the current month and the previous month. These rates will be used when calculating your housing benefit.

  • Housing Benefit - Changes in Circumstances

    This page provides information about the importance of notifying the council regarding changes in their circumstances.

Back to top