Skip to content

Take part in our Community Safety Survey. We would really like to hear your views. It is open until 31st January 2020.

What happens if the deceased owned a property?

If no relatives come forward to arrange a funeral, the law allows the council to enter the deceased'd property and remove any items or assets that may help to pay for the funeral. A careful search may have to be carried out as it is possible important documents may have been stored in unconventional places, for safe keeping.
If the coroner is involved, a coroner’s officer should have previously removed any valuables, money, benefit books and official documents for safekeeping while undertaking their initial investigations into the person’s death.
The council will ensure that the premises are left secure and keys handed to the Coroner’s Office or a police officer. Keys will not be left with neighbours or anyone else.

Related Pages (2)

  • Public health

    This page is about public health, including: blocked sewers and drains, welfare funerals, filthy and verminous premises, and ill health.

  • Cemetery Forms

    This page provides the forms associated with both Oadby Cemetery and Wigston Cemetery.

Back to top