Skip to content

Will council tax benefit cover all of my council tax?

If you are jointly liable for the council tax then your council tax benefit will only cover the percentage of the council tax for which you are liable. For example if two people are jointly liable and you claim council tax benefit but the other person doesn't then only your 50 per cent of the council tax will be paid by council tax benefit.

You may have a "non-dependant" living with you (this is someone aged 18 or over who is not legally dependent upon you), and an amount is deducted from your housing benefit based upon the circumstances of the non-dependant. The housing benefit scheme expects that the non-dependant will contribute towards the cost of the rent.

Related Pages (7)

  • Council Tax Support

    This page provides information about the new Council Tax Support scheme for Oadby and Wigston Borough Council. The scheme has been approved by local members and comes into effect from 1 April 2013.

  • Council Tax Support Scheme

    The page provides details of the Council Tax Support Scheme which comes into effect from 1st April 2013. The scheme is based upon the Government's scheme, called the default scheme. This web page also includes summarised details of approved changes to the default scheme.

  • Discretionary Council Tax Support

    This page provides information about discretionary support that can be claimed to help people pay their Council Tax. The funding for this support is provided jointly by the County Council, Fire, Police and Oadby and Wigston Borough Council.

  • Housing benefit - backdating claims

    This page gives information on whether housing benefit and council tax support can be backdated to a date earlier than when you submitted your benefit application form.

  • Help and advice about benefits

    Contact details for organisations giving help and advice on a range of benefits, including our helpline service for our residents offering advice on all types of benefits, not just those administered by us.

  • Information required to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

    This page deals with what information is required in order to assess a claim for housing and council tax support.

  • Housing Benefit - Changes in Circumstances

    This page provides information about the importance of notifying the council regarding changes in their circumstances.

Back to top