The Council’s preferred option on how to improve future delivery and usage of Brocks Hill Country Park & Centre will be discussed by Oadby and Wigston Borough Councillors at a meeting to be held at 7:00 p.m. on 5 September 2017.
A series of outline options have already been put to Councillors in an initial report discussed on 6 July 2017. There was a unanimous agreement that the preferred option that was put forward at that meeting, was to amend the existing contract that is in place with current partners Sports Leisure Management Ltd (SLM), who run the Parklands Leisure Centre on the existing site.
More detailed proposals have now been put forward by SLM and these will be discussed on the 5 September. The proposals include:
- The country park and its facilities to continue to be directly managed by the Council through a combination of the Park Warden, the grounds maintenance team and significant input from volunteers. This will ensure the expertise will ensure biodiversity and conservation elements continue to flourish and nationally accredited standards are maintained.
- SLM to run the centre only, on the Council’s behalf through a contract variation to the existing leisure contract.
- Achieving a more comprehensive service provision and efficiencies by merging the management of the two centres on the site.
- Profit share arrangements to be in line with the existing contract.
- Job security for existing Council staff.
- A working partnership to increase awareness of the park and support the Council with events which will provide increased resources resulting in delivering more events.
- Encouragement of greater activity and addressing health and wellbeing issues across the whole spectrum of ages.
- Enhancing on-site car parking.
- Enhancing the availability of pedestrian access to the site.
- Enhancing the cafe provision, with improved decor and including catering for conference/meetings.
- Delivering significant revenue savings for Oadby & Wigston Borough Council of approximately £100,000 per annum.
To read the full report that outlines all of SLM’s proposals regarding Brocks Hill Country Park & Centre, please click: Potential Developments at Parklands Leisure Centre and Brocks Hill, Oadby (PDF Document, 273.64 Kb).