Remembrance Sunday 2018
On Sunday 11 November Oadby, Wigston and South Wigston will be holding the following services:
- Oadby - St Peter’s Church Parade starts at 9:45am with church service at 10am and wreath laying at 11am.
- Wigston - All Saints Church Parade starts at 10:30am with the church service at 10:45am and wreath laying and parade back to Bell Street. The Salute being taken at Peace Memorial Park en-route.
- South Wigston - St Thomas the Apostle Church Service starts at 9:45am with wreath laying at 11:30am.
The United Kingdom and its friends overseas will mark the day 100 years ago when the guns fell silent at the end of WWI.
In remembering the sacrifice of millions of men and women, the council will be joining “Battle’s Over”, a unique series of events in the morning and evening, involving organisations and communities the length and breadth of our nation and many countries abroad.
In remembrance of the end of the war and the millions who were killed or came home horrifically wounded, over 1,000 Beacons of Light will be lit throughout the United Kingdom at 7:00 pm.
The event also commemorates the many men and women on the home front who underpinned the war effort by keeping the wheels of industry turning and bringing home the harvests.
Beacon Lighting, Brocks Hill Country Park
The beacons will symbolise the light of hope that emerged from the darkness of war.
6:50 pm: Tribute to the Millions - a reading by the Mayor
6:55 pm: Last Post to be played
7:00 pm: Beacon is lit (to signify the light of peace that emerged from the darkness of war)
7:05 pm: Ringing Out for Peace (over 1,000 churches and cathedrals are expected to ring out their bells)
Temporary Road Closures, Remembrance Day Parade: Sunday 11 November 2018
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Oadby and Wigston Borough Council has made an Order Under Section 21 of the Town Policy Clauses Act 1847. The affect of the Order is to close to vehicular traffic those lengths of roads described in the schedule below on Sunday 11 November 2018, between the times shown in the schedule, for the purpose of preventing obstruction, as the roads mentioned will be thronged and liable to be obstructed during this time by members of the public attending Remembrance Day Parades.
Lengths of road closed to all vehicular traffic from 09:30am to 10:45am and lengths of road closed to all vehicular traffic from 11:30am to 12:00pm.
- Leicester Road - at mini roundabout
- Long Street - from the mini roundabout to Bushloe End
- Paddock Street, Willow Place and Blunts Hill – all closed at their junction to Long Street.
- The end of Paddock Street from the car park entrance to Bull Head Street will become two-way for the period from 9:3am – 12:00pm
- Elizabeth Court, Central Avenue and Kingswood - all closed at their junction to Long Street.
- Moat Street - from its junction at Newgate End to Long Street
- Bushloe End - from its junction with Moat Street and Launceston Road
- Launceston Road - from its junction with Bushloe End to Elms Social Club Car Park
- Bell Street - will be closed from 9:30am - 12:00pm