February is LGBT History Month and in recognition of this month and to show solidarity, Oadby & Wigston Borough Council is flying the LGBT flag and highlighting how you can get involved.
During this month there are many events across Leicestershire, the United Kingdom and the world, to raise awareness of the LGBT+ Community, and to remember those that have been fighting for Equal Rights for the members of the LGBT+ Community, over many decades. This year the theme is Peace, Activism and Reconciliation.
To get involved in activities to mark this month:
- you can buy a badge or badges for LGBT History Month 2019. The more you buy the less they cost.
- download and print the LGBT History wall-chart and put it on your noticeboard at work.
- check out the interactive calendar and go to an event in your area.
- check out the lgbt resources.
- organise an event in your area and put it on the lgbt interactive calendar.
- look at the OUTing the Past LGBT History Festival and go to at least one of the free events there.
- Check out the LGBT History Month website and its Facebook and Twitter posts and tweets for updates.
There is more. If you:
- are in education or youth work use LGBT History Month to promote LGBT equality.
- are in education or youth work put some curriculum posters up on your wall.
- are in education or youth work check out the Proud Trust’s LGBT History Month Toolkit for 2019. They’ve planned the work so you don’t have to.
- know a lot about an LGBT Place or person check out OUTing the Past and offer a presentation for next year.
- want to know a lot more about LGBT history come to the OUTing the Past Festival Conference held over the final weekend in March 2019 in Belfast.