Skip to content

COVID-19: Tightening of Lockdown for Leicester/shire - Find out more here:

Coronavirus Outbreak FAQ's - Find out what you can and can't do here:

Night Time Economy Update - Find out about our recovery plan here:

Advice & Service Updates - Visit our 'Coronavirus Information' page here:

Community Hub - If you are vulnerable and need support, click here:

Need to Contact Us? - Do it online here:

Building Regulations

Labc LogoThis page provides guidance to householders on the information needed to be given to the Building Control Service when undertaking domestic building work. Also included is a link to the Building Regulations explanatory booklet.

What are Building Regulations

Building Regulations set performance standards in the design and construction of buildings ensuring the health and safety of people in and around those buildings. They also incorporate measures to conserve fuel and power and ensure the provision of facilities for disabled people.

When is notification required

Notification needs to be given when you intend to:

  1. erect a building, for example, a new dwelling,
  2. extend an existing building, for example, kitchen extension,
  3. make structural alterations to a building, for example, remove a load-bearing wall,
  4. convert a loft, for example, make a new bedroom in the roof space,
  5. install a controlled service or fitting, for example, install windows, central heating,
  6. change the use of a building, for example, convert a house to flats or
  7. erect a large conservatory where the floor area greater than 30 square meters.

For a more detailed list of works requiring notification please visit our 'Do I Need Approval' page.

Notification must be given before any relevant work commences on site.

Who gives the notification

You may submit the application yourself or you may engage someone to do it for you. If an agent is employed, all correspondence will be directed to him or her.

How is notification given

There are two ways of giving notice of the proposed work:-

1. submitting full plans, or

2. giving a building notice.

Is there a charge payable

The total charges are the same for each method. With full plans, part of the charge is paid when the plans are deposited, the remainder after the first inspection. With a building notice, the total charge is paid when the building notice is given.

For an individually tailored quotation please contact us by emailing

Application forms

You can submit your application online quickly and easily. Alternatively you may download a PDF copy from our forms and fees page and submit it via the email address above.

Please note: building work may require other permissions including Planning permission.

Share this page:

Last updated:

Back to top