Coronavirus (COVID-19): Community Hub:
A 'Community Hub' initiative has been launched by the Council for those vulnerable residents living within Oadby, Wigston and South Wigston needing additional support during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and for those, either individuals, voluntary organisations and/or businesses, wanting to volunteer their time or services to help those in need across the Borough.
Supporting Vulnerable People in Our Borough
We want to make sure that during this difficult time, vulnerable people who have to isolate can get the support they need, either from friends or family, volunteers in the community or if they are on their own from the Council.
If you are worried about yourself or someone else who is alone and in isolation, the Community Hub set up by the Council aims to help people and co-ordinate volunteers.
Contact details are available below for people who want to refer themselves, a family member or someone in the community who needs assistance. You can also fill in a form to volunteer to help the people who need support. Please see the 'What Can I/We Do to Help?' section below.
Please always refer to the latest official government information on social distancing.
This service will prioritise those people who have no one else to help and who are the most vulnerable, for example over the age of 70, have an underlying health condition, families struggling to cope and those people who have received a letter from the NHS stating they are in a priority group.
Request Assistance From The Community Hub
If you are worried about yourself or someone else who is alone and in isolation, and you/they require assistance, please contact:
Contact: Community Hub Support Team
Telephone: 0116 288 8961
(Use the subject line: 'Assistance Required - Community Hub: Coronavirus (COVID-19)')
Normal Working Days/Hours
Monday to Friday, 9.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m.
Out of Hours (Emergency)
Out of hours emergency telephone number: please telephone (0116) 288 8961 and the recorded message will give you the emergency contact number. You can also visit our out of hours emergencies web page.
Covid 19 - Emergency Gas/Electric Top Up
If the Covid 19 pandemic has impacted on your ability to top up your gas/electricity meters, either because you are self-isolating or because of a change in your financial circumstances, then you may be entitled to a one-off emergency top-up of your gas/electricity meters from the Council.
If the above applies to you please complete the application form below.
Other Community Support Agencies
A number of community groups and services are offering support in the Borough during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The Council has collated a list of the available groups and services and will continue to update this list on a daily and ongoing basis.
- COVID-19 Community Support Agencies (PDF Document, 526.18 Kb)
If the agencies found on this list are unable to provide the support you require, please contact the Council's Customer Service Centre directly.
COVID-19 Community Pack
We have produced an information pack to support households and the local community during the coronavirus outbreak. The pack contains key contacts, websites and resources you will use.
We recommend sharing this pack within the community where you can to ensure that as many people as possible have the support and knowledge they need at this challenging time.
What Can I/We Do to Help?
We are currently working with individuals, charities and voluntary and community groups ("volunteering organisations") to look at the support that is available for our vulnerable residents.
Individual volunteers will be put in touch with volunteering organisations in order to support the delivery of those voluntary organisations' own support initiatives.
You can only provide support to people in isolation if you fulfil ALL of these conditions:
- You are well and have no symptoms (like a cough or high temperature) and nobody in your household does;
- You are under 70 years of age;
- You are not pregnant; and
- You do not have any long-term and/or underlying health conditions that make you vulnerable to coronavirus.
To help us with this exercise, please complete the relevant online form below.
Please note that:
- All volunteers' information will be provided to third-parties (i.e. volunteering organisations sources gathered through this initiative) and vice-versa in order to connect individual volunteers with such volunteering organisations; and
- Individual volunteers must confirm that they fulfil ALL the above four conditions, and in the event this changes, they will inform the Council immediately to ensure the Council does not inadvertently put volunteers and others at risk.
- Individual volunteers must confirm that they are not currently in an ‘at risk’ group (i.e. over 70, living with long term medical condition) and in the event this changes, they will inform the Council immediately to ensure the Council does not inadvertently put volunteers and others at risk.
If you have any queries or require further information regarding volunteering for the 'Community Hub' initiative, please contact:
Contact: Community & Wellbeing Team
(Use the subject line: 'Volunteering - Community Hub: Coronavirus (COVID-19)')
Last updated: Monday, 26 April 2021 4:46 pm