Skip to content

Please visit our Coronavirus Information page for service updates & advice:

Community Hub - If you are vulnerable and need support click here:

Volunteering - If you want to volunteer or are a volunteering organisation click here:

Need to contact us? Do it online:

Is your property in the wrong Council Tax Band?

This page provides advice about what to do if you think your Council Tax band is wrong. The page contains links to information from the Government and contact details for the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), who are responsible for keeping Council Tax banding up to date.

Is your Council Tax band wrong?

Picutre of a houseIf you believe that your Council Tax banding is incorrect please contact us for advice. Council Tax banding valuations are carried out by the VOA and date back to 1993 when Council Tax started.

We have found there have been a number of cases recently where people have been approached by independent companies offering to challenge their Council Tax banding on their behalf. These companies then contact the VOA and if successful charge the resident for their services, but this is something you can do yourself without charge.

For more information contact the VOA directly by writing to: The Listing Officer, Council Tax East, Valuation Office Agency, Ground Floor, Ferrers House, Castle Meadow Road, Nottingham, NG2 1AB. You can also contact the VOA by telephone on 0300 050 1501 or online at the VOA website.

For more information about Council Tax and your rights visit the GOV.UK website.

Remember - Checking your Council Tax band or asking for your band to be reviewed is free.

Share this page:

Last updated:

Back to top