Council Tax is collected to help pay for the services provided by us. These include refuse collection and recycling, leisure facilities, planning and development services and environmental services. A Council Tax bill is sent to every home in March each year. This shows the total amount of Council Tax that needs to be paid. The bill also includes the charges that are payable to Leicestershire County Council, the Police Authority and the Fire Service.

The total amount payable is based on a valuation of each home and the number of people, aged 18 and over, that live there. The band value is decided by the Valuation Office Agency.

The Valuation Office Agency advises us of the band value for each property, which enables us to issue Council Tax bills. If you own, or have a legal interest in more than one home, you can be liable to pay more that one Council Tax bill.

Please follow the links below to report a move into, within or out of the borough. It is an offence under the Council Tax regulations for a person to knowingly provide false or misleading information to the Council. The fine for this offence is £1000. The Council may verify the information provided to confirm the occupancy where the law permits.

Report a move into the borough

Report a move within the borough

Report a move out of the borough

If you are moving out of the borough, please tell us your new address where we can send your closing bill to. This is important so that we can tell you whether there are any outstanding credits or debits against your account and issue any refunds where applicable.

There are various ways in which your Council Tax might be reduced.

For further information please see our exemptions, discounts and disabled person's reduction pages. Also, see the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support entitlement page.

If your Council Tax payments are in arrears please see Advice if your Council Tax is in Arrears page.

Last updated: Thursday, 2 March 2023 1:23 pm