Under section 94 of the Public Health Acts Amendment Act 1907 Oadby and Wigston Borough Council has the power to control pleasure boats and pleasure vessels within its Borough.

No person shall let for hire any pleasure boat or pleasure vessel that does not have a licence.

Licence summary

To hire out water-bound pleasure crafts (including sailboards, rowing boats, canoes, motorboats, pedalos and larger boats) that are for personal use or carrying passengers, you need a licence. You must not carry more passengers than you are licensed to carry.

Licences may be subject to a fee. Conditions may be attached to a licence.

Eligibility criteria

No provision in legislation.

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence [External].

Application evaluation process

No provision in legislation.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Apply online

Apply to offer boats for hire [External].

Failed application redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery).

For example about noise, pollution and so on. Also, should one licence holder complain about another license holder.

Trade associations

Association of Leading Visitor Attractions (ALVA) [External].

Last updated: Friday, 24 February 2023 1:26 pm