Certain accidents and incidents at work have to be reported to us or to the Health and Safety Executive by law including:

  • death or major injury - a major injury is a fracture other than to fingers, thumbs or toes, amputation, dislocation of the shoulder, hip, knee or spine, loss of sight, eye injuries, electric shock, unconsciousness and admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours,
  • any other injury that results in the injured person being away from work or unable to do their full range of normal duties for more than seven days ( not counting the day it happened),
  • certain work-related diseases (these are specified in regulations) and
  • dangerous occurrences that could have caused a reportable accident.

Further information can be found on the RIDDOR website.

How to report an accident

You must report an accident by using the online reporting form.

If the incident has resulted in a fatality or a major injury you must report the incident by telephone on 0845 300 9923. Lines are open Monday to Friday 08.30 to 17.00.

Find information on how to report a major injury or fatality out of normal office hours here.

If you are not sure what to do, the Council can send you a booklet which tells you all the details about what to report and how to report it.

Remember that if you do report an accident, someone may contact you to investigate what happened and what you have done to prevent it happening again.

Last updated: Thursday, 7 October 2021 10:11 am