Skip to content

COVID-19: Localised Lockdown Lifted in the Borough - Find out more here:

Coronavirus Outbreak FAQ's - Find out what you can and can't do here:

Night Time Economy Update - Find out about our recovery plan here:

Advice & Service Updates - Visit our 'Coronavirus Information' page here:

Community Hub - If you are vulnerable and need support, click here:

Need to Contact Us? - Do it online here:

Universal Credit

For information about coronavirus and claiming benefits please follow this link.

This web page provides an overview of what Universal Credit is, how it will affect you and what support is available for you. It also provides links to additional information.

Universal Credit is a new benefit that is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and not Oadby & Wigston Borough Council.

For working age claimant’s, it will replace: Tax Credits, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based), Income Support, Employment Support Allowance (Income Related) and Housing Benefit.

Universal Credit has now gone live in Oadby & Wigston. This means, if you want to make a new claim, you will claim Universal Credit instead of the benefits listed above.

If you are unsure if you should apply for Housing Benefits or Universal Credit, please use the button below to complete our handy tool to find out:

Do I Need to Claim HB or UC

Key points to remember about Universal Credit:

  • It only affects new claims for now
  • If you already receive any of the benefits listed above you do not need to do anything for now (you will be advised if you need to claim Universal Credit)
  • You will need to claim it online and you will only need to make one claim.
  • Help is available to make a claim from your job centre or at our customer service centre
  • It is paid monthly in arrears in one lump sum
  • You will need to pay your rent from this lump sum payment (even if you are a council tenant)
  • You will need to claim Council Tax Support separately from the Oadby & Wigston Borough Council
  • It doesn’t affect pension age claimants (unless you are a couple where one is pension age and one is working age, in these cases you can choose what benefit to claim)
  • You can claim Universal Credit even if you are working
  • If you need it, advice can be provided to help you manage your money

For more detailed information about Universal Credit, please click on: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Other Useful links:

Claim Universal Credit

Housing costs and Universal Credit

Information for landlords

Council Tenants: How to pay your rent

Claim Council Tax Support (CTS)

Further detailed information for claimants

Share this page:

Last updated:

Back to top