Salary: £36,648 - £39,186 Plus £2,500 market supplement (Reviewed after 3 Years)
This is a Permanent Full Time position
Due to a recent departure within our Planning Section, Oadby and Wigston Borough Council is looking to recruit a full time Senior Development Control Officer to join our small yet dynamic Planning Team on a permanent contract.
The Council is based at its brand new Brocks Hill Headquarters set in the stunning surroundings of Brocks Hill Country Park in Oadby.
This role allows for a split of home and office based working and regular attendance at the office is not essential within the Council’s agile working framework.
The main focus of this role is to assess and determine all types of planning applications. The Council has an up-to-date Local Plan adopted in 2019, and the Borough is extremely varied and diverse. The Borough comprises many different areas, including dense urban, countryside and suburban fringe, as well as Conservation Areas, areas of high risk of flooding, a number of water courses and large scale new development growth areas.
The successful candidate will have substantial Development Control experience as well as a degree or postgraduate degree in town planning or a related discipline. They will also have full member of the MRTPI or be eligible for full membership.
We encourage a positive ‘can do’ attitude, and a continued desire to learn and develop knowledge of all things planning, especially urban design. With the team being small in size the role will not be ‘pigeon holed’ into one or two areas; the workload will be extremely varied, from determining applications, to masterplanning, to S106 negotiations, to formulating SPD, and much more. The role will need to work closely with the wider Planning Department, the Legal team, Corporate Assets and the Economic Regeneration staff to name a few.
The ideal candidate will have:
· Knowledge of the planning profession, particularly national regulations and legislation
· Experience of determining planning applications
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• The ability to communicate effectively with persons at all levels
• Excellent written skills, effective organisation skills and good attention to detail
• Excellent IT Skills - Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Uniform, databases and using the internet
• Good problem-solving skills
• The ability to work well under pressure
• The ability to work as part of a team and work on own initiative with minimum supervision
• A flexible attitude and a genuine desire to help customers
• Ability to travel across the Borough in a timely manner to undertake site visits and meetings
What this role has to offer:
• A proactive and close knit Planning team
• A focused training programme
• Great job satisfaction
· Varied and thought provoking workload
· Brand new head offices and agile working
• To be part of a positive and collaborative workplace with a strong culture that recognises employees are at the heart of what we do
• Ongoing committed support to your personal development
• Generous holiday entitlement
To apply for this role you must complete our online application form https://myaccount.oadby-wigston.gov.uk/service/OWBC_Job_Application_Form (CVs will not be accepted)
If you have not heard from us within 14 days of your application, please assume on this occasion your application has not been successful. Feedback will not be provided at this stage of the recruitment process.
Closing date: Thursday, 21 March 2024