This page tells you about the different ways by which you can pay your rent.

Why you must pay

The housing that we provide is paid for by your rents. Rent arrears and failure to pay means that there is less cash to provide the housing service with, and everyone suffers.

When to pay

Your rent is due on a weekly basis. It is due on a Monday and must be paid in advance. You can pay fortnightly or every month in advance.

How to pay

Direct Debit - Please contact us for a Rents Direct Debit Mandate (Word Document, 218 Kb). This should be returned to our offices and you can choose to have your payments made on the 1st or the 15th of each month.

Standing orders - please contact your Income Officer on 0116 288 8961 for further details

Paying by Cheque - You can send us a cheque. Please write your rent account number on the back of your cheque, made payable to 'Oadby and Wigston Borough Council'.

Cheques can be posted to Council Offices, Station Road, Wigston, LE18 2DR.

Phone - You can pay by using your debit or credit card you will be asked for your card details so that you can make the payment. Please make sure you have your rent account number ready to quote.

Paying on-line - Click 'on-line payments' section on our homepage. Please make sure that you have your rent account number ready to quote. If you do your personal banking using an internet account, you can pay to quote the following details for the Council:

Sort Code: 54-21-50

Account Number: 13754432

Libraries - you can visit Oadby library and pay by debit card and cheque only. Please note we cannot accept cash at the libraries. Please make sure that you have your rent account number ready to quote. This service is only provided when OWBC Customer Services are available.

Housing Benefit - You must complete a Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit Application Form (PDF Document, 250.8 Kb). if you are in receipt of Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, state benefits or on a low income (forms are available at these offices). You will be asked for documentation to support your claim (such as identification, utility bills, proof of income and so on) so you must provide these as soon as possible to prevent any unnecessary delays in the processing of your application. If you have any queries about applying for Housing Benefit, then please contact the Housing Benefit Section.

Universal Credit - if you receive Universal Credit you must tell the Department of Works and Pensions that you are a Council tenant and have to pay rent. Your rental liability will be used by the DWP to calculate your Universal Credit - remember you must still pay your rent. If you receive Universal Credit and fail to pay your rent then you may be evicted.

Last updated: Wednesday, 23 June 2021 5:20 pm