The service provides a safe, healthy and high-quality environment for all people living and working in the borough.
To carry out this service, we do the following:-
- monitor the borough to detect any statutory nuisances,
- deal promptly with all complaints and incidents of pollution (including noise pollution) of the land, air and water within the borough,
- deal promptly with complaints about nuisance problems,
- monitor the air quality within the borough,
- take action to have abandoned vehicles removed as quickly as the law allows,
- keep a register of cooling towers and evaporative condensers in our borough and
- issue permits for certain industrial premises.
If you would like to know more about any of these services, contact Environmental Health, our contact details are on the right.
Environmental Protection enforcement
It is our responsibility to enforce a number of laws and regulations relating to the protection of the environment in our Borough and to help us do this in a fair and consistent manner, we have a set of guidelines that we follow. These guidelines are contained in our enforcement policies.
Review of policy
Our policy due to the significant changes in legislation and the departments of Environmental Health and Licensing being under the Head of Legal and Governances a joined enforcement policy was drawn up and passed by the committee in 2017 you can open a copy by going to related documents below.
If you contact us with a problem or request with regard to our environmental protection service, we aim to give you a response within five working days.
Although five working days is the target, in the majority of cases, you will receive a response much quicker than this.
The Environment Agency
The Environment Agency is a public body set up in 1995 that helps to protect and improve the environment in England and Wales. The agency works with businesses and other organisations to prevent damage to the environment by providing education and guidance.
The agency covers a wide remit that includes air and water quality, conservation and waste disposal.
If you would like to know more about the Environment Agency's work, visit the Environment Agency's web site.
Last updated: Thursday, 24 September 2020 4:44 pm