This page gives details on the collection of refuse, recycling, garden waste and glass. It highlights where your bags should be placed and when they will be collected.
We have a weekly refuse and recycling collection system. To find out the day of your collections please use the 'My Location' area of this website. Please note, some communal area collections at flats may not appear.
Our Street list 2017-18 (PDF Document, 277.51 Kb) shows your refuse and recycling collection days, this is to be used with the Refuse and recycling guide and calendar 2017-18 (PDF Document, 913.22 Kb). Please contact Customer Services on (0116) 288 8961 if you require further information.
Bank holiday collection arrangements
Note: On dates marked double collection days we will collect up to six black bags and unlimited recycling bags.
Revised Collection Day
Thursday 21 December
Refuse, recycling and textiles – Thursday 21 December
Glass and cooking oil – Thursday 21 December
Friday 22 December
Refuse, recycling and textiles - Friday 22 December
Glass and cooking oil – Friday 22 December
Monday 25 December
Refuse, recycling and textiles - only recycling at communal flats will be affected, this will be collected within 2 weeks.
Glass and cooking oil – Monday 8 December
Tuesday 26 December
Refuse, recycling and textiles - Tuesday 2 January (double collection day)
Glass and cooking oil - Tuesday 9 January
Wednesday 27 December
Refuse, recycling and textiles - Wednesday 3 January (double collection day)
Glass and cooking oil - Wednesday 10 January
Thursday 28 December
Refuse, recycling and textiles - Thursday 28 December
Glass and cooking oil - Thursday 28 December
Friday 29 December
Refuse, recycling and textiles - Friday 29 December
Glass and cooking oil - Friday 29 December
Monday 1 January
Refuse, recycling and textiles - Monday 8 January
Glass and cooking oil - Monday 15 January
Tuesday 2 January
Refuse, recycling and textiles - Tuesday 2 January
Glass and cooking oil - Tuesday 2 January
Garden waste collections will cease over the winter months on Friday 8 December 2017, with this being the last collection day and will resume week commencing Monday 19 February 2018.
Garden waste is collected in either up to four reusable garden waste sacks or you can choose to have a green wheeled bin instead. Both these options are free. Our Garden waste collection gives you more information and how to order a wheeled bin.
Glass, cooking oil and fats collection
We now collect any unwanted cooking oil and fats from deep fat fryers, grills, frying pans and baking trays (we do not collect engine oil). When the waste is completely cool pour into a dry plastic screw top bottle until it is nearly full then place on top of your kerbside glass recycling box (for easy sorting), along with your glass bottles for the next glass collection in your area. If you require a free glass box contact Customer Services on (0116) 288 8961.
Please see below a list of instructions regarding the arrangements for collection for your household waste and recycling:
- Waste bags and containers must be placed at the front edge of the property by 7:00 a.m. on the collection day.
- We cannot guarantee collecting any waste left outside after 7:00 a.m. Actual times of collection may change due to road works or bad weather.
- All household waste must be contained within the bag or bin. Any bags which have been torn or damaged will not be collected.
- Material such as hazardous or special waste, needles, glass, soil, bricks or rubble must not be put in the bins or waste bags.
- Black refuse bags should not weigh more than 10 kilograms each. Bags which are over 10 kilograms in weight will not be collected.
- Recycling bags and reusable garden waste bags should not weigh more than 7 kilograms each
- Materials placed in charity bags will not be collected.
We operate a bag or dustbin system for household waste, collected weekly. A policy of strictly three 40 litre black refuse bags or one dustbin plus one bag per household applies.
Please note: we do not supply dustbins to households. Residents can purchase their own standard 80 litre bin with removable lid if they wish to do so. We cannot accept responsibility for lost or stolen bins.
Recycling in the borough has never been as simple as it is now.
In the green recycling bag you can place:
- Plastic drink bottles and detergent bottles (for example milk, pop, water, washing up liquid and shampoo).
- Aluminium cans, clean food and pet food tins.
- Empty aerosol containers.
- Aluminium foil containers and wrapping.
- Yoghurt pots, margarine tubs, plastic egg cartons, food trays without the film cover.
- Empty juice and milk cartons.
Please wash all materials and remove all lids from bottles and pots before placing them in the green bags.
In the brown recycling bag you can place:
- News papers, writing paper, magazines, catalogues and telephone directories.
- Junk mail, greeting cards and envelopes (always tear off the bit that contains your personal information).
- Cardboard for example cereal, television and DVD player boxes.
You can also use your brown recycling bags to recycle:
- Clean clothes.
- Paired shoes.
- Leather belts.
- Scarves, hats and gloves.
- Bed sheets and pillow cases.
Please always use separate brown bags for your clothing and your cardboard or paper.
If your recycling bag contains incorrect items we will be unable to take it and you will be advised to remove the incorrect items and place your bag out for collection the following week.
The most frequent wrongly bagged items are:
- Paper or card mixed with plastics and cans.
- Film plastic, carrier bags, cling film, tray covers and shrink wap.
- Crisp packets or biscuit wrappers.
- Packaging containing food grease.
- Delivery pizza boxes.
- Paper towel and tissue paper.
- Random metal items.
- Plastics that are not rigid food, drink or household cleaner containers.
- Large plastic items such as toys, buckets etc.
- Plant pots/trays.
- Domestic waste.
Disabled and elderly residents
Where a resident has a disability or frailty, we may be able to assist with putting out and returning their bin or to collect their black bags. This applies where the resident is not able to put out their refuse and cannot make other arrangements. You can make an online request by completing the online form using the link below.
For information on any of our household waste services please contact Customer Services on Leicester (0116) 288 8961.
Refuse and brown and green recycling bags are collected from your property on a weekly basis. Garden waste and glass recycling (if you have a collection on your road) are collected on a fortnightly basis.
The refuse and recycling webpage will tell you when your next collection is. Alternatively, you can contact Customer Services: 40 Bell Street, Wigston, Leicestershire LE18 1AD Tel: (0116) 288 8961.
Collection of larger items should be booked in with Customer Services as a separate collection. This will not be taken with any other collection.
|2011 September 25||27 Sep 2011||Waste and Recycling|
Last updated: Monday, 18 December 2017 2:35 pm