The Council is required to undertake and complete a review of all polling districts and polling places within its administrative boundary at least once every five years. The last full review was completed in 2014, followed by an interim review in 2018.
- Polling district - the geographical area created by sub-dividing an electoral area. All wards within Oadby & Wigston are divided into polling districts, which form the basis upon which the register of electors is produced.
- Polling place - the designated area for a polling district in which a polling station is located.
- Polling station - the area where the process of voting takes place, e.g. a room in a community centre or school.
The aim of the review is to ensure that:
- electors in the constituency have such reasonable facilities for voting as are practicable in the circumstances; and
- as far as is reasonable and practicable, polling places are accessible to all electors, and take into account the needs of disabled persons.
The review will not consider ward boundaries, county divisions or parliamentary constituencies.
The Council welcomes the views of Oadby & Wigston residents on the existing arrangements to assist in deciding what changes (if any) should be made during this review.
You can download the Returning Officer's proposals below, which provide an overview of the current arrangements and the proposed arrangements for at all future elections.
|24 July to 4 September 2019||Consult for representations and comments on the existing and proposed arrangements|
|5 September to 13 September 2019||Consider all the representations and alternative proposals|
|24 September 2019||Recommendations to Council|
|1 December 2019||Publish new Register of Electors to include any amendments following conclusion of review|
How to respond
Electors are encouraged to submit comments on your current polling station and in the event that you consider the current arrangements unsuitable, indicate whether there are any other suitable premises that could be used.
When making representations it would be helpful if you could provide as much relevant information as you can about your current polling place/station, including:
- how convenient (or not) the location is in relation to where you live
- whether there is adequate parking
- what access is available for disabled and/or wheelchair users
- how suitable overall it is for voting.
Comments can be made in the following ways:
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also write to us:
Electoral Services, Oadby & Wigston Borough Council, Station Road, Wigston, LE18 2DR
The deadline for commenting on the review is 4 September 2019
Anne Court Returning Officer
Last updated: Wednesday, 24 July 2019 4:07 pm