The Caravan Site and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site without a site licence. This page explains how to apply for a Caravan licence.

It is an offence to run a caravan and/or camping site without a licence from the local authority issued under the Caravan Site and Control of Development Act 1960. A licence can only be granted where the site holds valid planning permission to be used for the purpose of the licence.

There are some exceptions to the requirement to hold a licence which include:

  • a caravan sited with the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately,
  • a single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months,
  • up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months or
  • a site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.

If you are unsure if you need a licence please contact the licensing section.

Licence summary

To run a caravan and camping site you need a licence from the local authority.

Conditions may be attached to a licence to cover any of the following:-

  • restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time,
  • controlling the types of caravans on the site,
  • controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents,
  • to ensure steps are taken enhance the land, including planting or replanting bushes and trees,
  • fire safety and fire fighting controls and
  • to ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained.

Eligibility criteria

The applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site.

Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence.

Application evaluation process

Applications for site licences are made to the local authority in whose area the land is situated.

Applications must be in writing, should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by the local authority.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it.

Apply online

Apply to run a caravan site or camp site.

Tell us about a change to your existing caravan or camp site.

Last updated: Monday, 6 July 2020 10:21 am