Street collections are regulated by local authorities. An application may be made for the grant of a permit under Section 5 of the Police, Factories, etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916. Procedures for such collections are provided for by regulations.

Collections proposed to take place within the borough of Oadby and Wigston

Applications for the grant of a permit must be made to the Council's licensing section at least one month before the first date required for a collection to take place.

Application form

If you wish to undertake a street collection (which is different to a charitable house to house collection) you will need to complete the Street Collection Application Form (PDF Document, 220.75 Kb).


There is currently no fee applicable for this type of licence.

Regulations for street collections

Download the Street Collection Regulations (PDF Document, 89.13 Kb)

Licence summary

To collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes in England or Wales, you require a street collection licence from your local council.

Eligibility criteria

No provision in the legislation.

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Application evaluation process

No provision in the legislation.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with your application within the target period identified then your application will have been deemed to have been registered. Please note that the processing target period (30 days) only begins on receipt of a fully completed registration form.

Apply online

Apply to run a charitable collection

Notify us of the result of a charitable collection

Failed application redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the United Kingdom (UK), Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

For example, about noise, pollution and so on. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade associations


Last updated: Friday, 7 May 2021 4:32 pm