The Environmental Health Team is responsible for ensuring all food exposed for sale in the borough is safe to eat. We do this by reacting to concerns from residents and proactive inspections. We support the local economy by assisting food businesses to maintain high food hygiene standards. We conform to the principles of better regulation and are proportionate in whatever action we take.

The council only deals with food hygiene issues. For other food-related issues such as labelling or food quality you will need to contact Trading Standards at Leicestershire County Council.

Food businesses need to register with their Local Authority before they start to trade.

You can register your food business here

Childminders are an exception to this as they now register as part of their OFSTED registration. All food handlers also need to have the level of training needed to be able to produce safe food. There are some courses available to help people back into work.

We promote the Food Hygiene Rating System which lets customers see how well their restaurant manages food safety. You can get this information on the move by downloading the Food Standards Agency app. If you are thinking of starting a food business please see our pages related to what you need to do.

To report a concern about a food business, or food you have purchased, please use the online report form.


If you provide entertainment as part of your business or you intend to trade from the street you may need to be licensed.

Spread the Word Not the Germs

While you are cooking with your children, including food safety as part of the activity.

Find out more about preparing food safely, the symptoms of food poisoning and what to do if you suspect you have food poisoning.

Bringing Food into the Country

If you are travelling abroad make sure you know what food you are able to bring back by visiting: Bringing Food into the Country.

Last updated: Tuesday, 8 November 2022 1:03 pm