How to apply

Separate applications are required for the premises from which the business will operate and for the staff.

The cost of registration of the premises is £200

A personal licence for each stylist operating within a premises is £120 each

You can apply for a licence here

Any queries should be directed to, where we will endeavour to respond within five working days.

Registration Summary and Requirements

To run a hairdressing or barber business you need to register with your local authority and comply with local byelaws and health and safety legislation.

Premises Requirements

Once your premises registration has been issued the operator will need to ensure the requirements below are met.

  • Display a copy of your premises registration within the business.
  • Display a copy of your public liability insurance.
  • Display a copy of your written Health and Safety Policy (You can find guidance on writing a policy here) and you can find our sample policy here - Sample Health & Safety Policy (Word Document, 68.39 Kb)
  • Procedures in relation to cleaning practices.
  • Risk assessment for chemical management within the business (You can find guidance here)
  • Evidence that all barbers or stylists employed by the business hold a personal registration with the local authority.

Note: Mobile operators should be able to produce this information upon request from an officer of the local authority.

Personal Requirements

Once your personal registration has been issued you will need to ensure the requirements below are met.

  • Be able to produce a copy of your registration upon request from an Officer of the Local Authority.
  • Only operate within the Local Authority area the registration is held (should you wish to operate in multiple Local Authority areas, please consult the appropriate Authority for further advice)

Failure to adhere to the conditions noted above and within local byelaws could lead to a fine or prosecution.

Regulation summary

Leicestershire Act 1985 (Section 23) (PDF Document, 18.74 Kb) and the Hairdresser and barber bye-laws (PDF Document, 131.57 Kb) are the laws which regulate hairdressers and barbers in the borough of Oadby and Wigston

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the United Kingdom (UK), Citizens Advice can offer guidance. From outside the UK contact the European Consumer Centre.

Trade associations

Hairdressing Council

National Hairdressers' Federation

Freelance Hairdressers Association

Last updated: Wednesday, 31 January 2024 2:52 pm