Temporary event notices (TEN) can be used to authorise licensable activities such as the sale of alcohol, provision of regulated entertainment and the provision of late-night refreshment for small events that occur for a temporary period. A number of limitations and regulations apply to such events.

To assist applicants a guide has been produced which can be downloaded below. This explains how the application can be served in hard copy and all the limitations that apply.

Guide to Issuing a Temporary Event Notice 2012 (PDF Document, 54.04 Kb)

Below you can find out how you can make your application electronically.

Eligibility criteria

An activity that can be licensed must be carried out as detailed in a notice that must be given.

The notice must be in a specific format and must be made by someone over 18 years of age.

The notice should contain:-

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority,

  • a statement relating to certain matters,

  • any other required information.

The matters referred to above are:-

  • details of the licensable activities,

  • the event period,

  • the times when during that period the activities will take place,

  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises,

  • any other required matters.

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence.

Application evaluation process

The TEN must be given in writing (including by electronic means) to the local authority at least ten working days before the event. A fee is payable with the notice.

The local authority will acknowledge receipt of the notice in writing by the end of the first working day after it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day.

Unless an application has been submitted electronically, the premises user must also give notice to the chief officer of the local police department and a copy of the notice to the local authorities environmental health department no later than ten working days before the event period.

If either the police and/or the environmental health department believe that the event would undermine one or more of the licensing objectives they must serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user within 3 working days of receipt of the temporary event notice.

The local licensing authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served and may issue a counter-notice if it considers it necessary for the promotion of the licensing objectives. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

The police chief or environmental health department may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user and in such a case the objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

Counter notices may be provided by the licensing authority if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.


No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Apply online

Apply for a temporary event notice.

If you are applying for a Late TEN, please use the same form and mark the box ‘The giving of a late temporary event notice’ in Section 4 of 9 under Licensable Activities

Failed application redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

If a counter-notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the United Kingdom (UK), Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

If a licensing authority decides not to issue a counter-notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Trade associations

National Outdoor Events Association (NDEA).

Society of Event Organisers (SEO).

Event Supplier and Services Association (ESSA).

TSNN Online Directory.

Last updated: Friday, 11 November 2022 4:07 pm