CCTV in the Borough

Oadby & Wigston Borough Council operates internal and external closed circuit television (CCTV) across a number of locations in the borough.

Some of its CCTV systems are located on and around Council premises, such as inside and outside civic buildings, offices, workshops and depots and on the Council's housing estates.

The Council also operates cameras covering the town centre and other public spaces.

The purpose of all our CCTV systems is to help provide a safer environment for everyone by protecting people and property, deterring crime and helping to solve it when it happens.

All of our CCTV systems are operated in accordance with the Council's CCTV policy:

CCTV Policy (PDF Document, 393.74 Kb)

Making a complaint about the Council's use of CCTV

If you wish to make a complaint about the Council's use of CCTV cameras, please use the Council’s online complaints form.

Access rights for individuals to CCTV footage

You have the right to request access to CCTV footage of yourself under data protection legislation but not to access that of any third parties.

If your request cannot be complied with without identifying another individual or individuals, and in the absence of permission from them, your request will need to be considered within the context of the degree of privacy they could reasonably anticipate from being in that location at that time, in accordance with the legislation.

Your request will also be refused if you have been the victim of a crime and our providing the footage to you may prejudice the work of the police in their apprehension and prosecution of the offenders.

Any footage will be edited in accordance with this principle before you are allowed to see it, or you may be refused access if the risk of prejudice to other individuals is considered high.

Due to the time and resources needed to view and extract information, speculative requests for CCTV footage which cannot give precise details of the location, date and time of the incident cannot be processed.

Our default method of making the footage available to you will be to arrange a mutually convenient appointment for you to view it. You have the right to request a personal copy of the footage instead, however a charge will be made for any materials, postage and packing required to fulfil your request.

If you wish to access CCTV footage of yourself that you believe may have been captured by cameras owned by the Council, please complete a Subject Access Request form and supply scanned photographic evidence of your identity as required by the form.

Please note that Council CCTV footage is held only for a maximum of 30 days from time of recording so you must make your request promptly following any incident.

If your request relates to damage to your motor vehicle while it was parked and unattended, you are able to ask your insurance company to make an access request on your behalf, as outlined below, but cannot use a subject access request which applies only to CCTV footage of yourself.

Access rights for insurance companies to CCTV footage of road traffic collisions

If you have been involved in a road traffic collision or similar incident which you believe may have been captured by one of the Council's cameras, your insurance company can request footage under Schedule 2 Part 1(5) of the Data Protection Act 2018. The relevant footage, if held, will then be sent to them direct.

Your insurance company must provide us with a letter of authorisation from you to act on your behalf as well as the full details of when and where the incident occurred.

This process involves payment of a non-refundable fee of £100+VAT.

Please ask your insurance company to contact the Council in advance of issuing payment in order to check that relevant footage was recorded at the time of the incident and has not yet been destroyed in accordance with the standard retention rules.

Last updated: Friday, 8 December 2023 11:07 am