You can claim support if you are liable to pay Council Tax on the property you are living in and you are having difficulty paying.

If you are not sure about your liability to pay, please contact the Council Tax Team on (0116) 288 8961 option 3.

The amount of support you will receive will depend on a number of factors, including:

  • Your age
  • The benefits you and/or your partner receive
  • Your income
  • Your savings (maximum eligibility limit is £16,000)
  • The people that live with you, and
  • Whether you receive a disability or carers benefit.

Working age claimants will have to pay 15% of their Council Tax bill under our Local Council Tax Support Scheme.

Make a new claim for Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support

Paper forms

You can download the Council Tax Support application form below or obtain one by contacting the benefits team. Our contact details are on the right-hand side of this page.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Claim Form (PDF Document, 617.29 Kb)

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Claim Form Notes (PDF Document, 142.48 Kb)

If you are facing severe financial hardship, you may be entitled to further support through Discretionary Council Tax Support (link to page)

Second Adult Rebate

If you are of pensionable age, share your home with one or more people aged over 18 and you are the only adult liable to pay Council Tax, you may claim what is known as Second Adult Rebate.

To qualify, these other persons must not be:

  • Paying rent to you
  • Your Partner
  • Disregarded for Council Tax purposes

You can make a claim for Second Adult Rebate using the claim form above.

Local Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate is credited directly to your Council Tax account.

Last updated: Friday, 24 May 2024 3:28 pm