Disabled Band Reduction

The Council Tax (Reductions for Disabilities) Regulations 1992, provides for a reduction in the amount of council tax payable if a person living in the property is substantially and permanently disabled.

The three criteria are that the dwelling must have are:

• a room predominantly used by and required for meeting the needs of the qualifying individual, but not a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory; or,

• an additional bathroom or kitchen required for meeting the needs of the qualifying individual; or,

• sufficient floor space for the use of a wheelchair required for meeting the needs of the qualifying individual.

The phrase “required for meeting the needs of”, as used in the regulations, is defined as “being essential or of major importance to his well-being by reason of the nature and extent of his disability”.

The reduced council tax bill is calculated using a lower council tax band than would ordinarily be applicable to the dwelling. The reduction for a qualifying band A dwelling is 1/9th of the band D charge.

The person liable for Council Tax for the property must make the claim for the disabled band reduction, even if they are not the disabled resident, by completing the form below.

Disabled Reduction Application Form (PDF Document, 161.59 Kb)

Severe Mental Impairment

Individuals who suffering from severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning are not counted as adults when working out Council Tax.


The person who is severely mentally impaired must:

  • Be certified by a medial professional to be suffering from severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused), which appears to be permanent.
  • Entitled to one of the benefits below (or would be entitled if they were not of pensionable age):
    • Short-term or long-term Incapacity Benefit
    • Employment Support Allowance
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Severe Disablement Allowance
    • The care component of a Disability Living Allowance (highest or middle rate)
    • Daily Living Component of Personal Independence Payment
    • An increase in Disablement Pension for constant attendance
    • The disability element of the Working Tax Credit
    • Unemployability allowance or supplement
    • Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pension schemes
    • Armed Forces Independent Payment
    • Income Support includes a disability premium because of incapacity
    • The ‘limited capability for work’ or ‘the limited capability for work-related elements’ of Universal Credit

If all people living in a property are severely mentally impaired, a full Council Tax exemption applies.

If only two adults occupy the property and only one is considered to be severely mentally impaired, a 25% Council Tax reduction applies.

If there are two or more other adults living in the property, no exemption will apply.

You can apply for a reduction using the form below:

Severe Mental Impairment Application Form (PDF Document, 199.3 Kb)

Last updated: Wednesday, 13 December 2023 9:55 am