There are a number of organisations that can provide information and advice on energy-related issues, such as insulation, energy bills, renewable technology and energy debt. Some of the key organisations are listed below, along with their contact details.

  • Energy Saving Trust - offers free, impartial advice to communities and households on how to reduce carbon emissions, use water more sustainably and save money on energy bills. They can also give up-to-date information on grants available to help fund certain energy-saving measures in your home. Tel: 0300 123 1234 Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9 am to 8 pm, and Saturday 10 am to 2 pm.
  • Centre for Sustainable Energy - has advice and energy saving tips on their website. This includes a vast range of information on domestic energy use; including topics such as wall insulation (solid and cavity), central heating controls, energy monitors, damp, solar panels and the Green Deal.
  • Age UK Oadby & Wigston - Age UK are able to give general advice and put people in touch with local services. Tel: 0116 2885203
  • Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) - The Citizens Advice Bureau provide advice on budgeting, debt and benefit issues. South Wigston Office Tel: 0844 417 1025 or 0300 330 1025 from mobiles. The Advice Guide, from the Citizens Advice Bureau, provides online advice on energy supply. It includes areas such as saving money on your energy bills, switching energy supplier and understanding your energy bills.
  • Carbon Footprint Calculator - The Carbon Footprint calculator allows you to calculate how much CO2 you're producing in your everyday life, allowing you to recognise where energy can be saved to reduce your carbon footprint.

Further Help for the Elderly

Winter Fuel Payment information from the Pension service

The Winter Fuel Payment is an annual payment to help with heating costs. It is made to households with someone over the pension credit age and is usually paid automatically. If you think that you qualify but have not received payment, then you will need to make a claim.

Warm Home Discount information from the pension service

The Warm Home Discount scheme is run by the energy companies which offers a rebate for electricity bills of low-income households. Qualifying criteria varies between companies. You should contact your energy provider to discuss your circumstances and eligibility.

Priority services register

Domestic gas and electricity suppliers offer special services to customers who are of pension age, disabled, suffering from a chronic illness or have a visual or hearing impairment. Some of the services they provide include large print bills, bills in Braille, meter reading and a bill nominee scheme. Contact your fuel supplier for more information. The table below contains the main supplier's contact numbers for their Priority Service Register.

Supplier Contact number

British Gas

Home Energy Care: 0800 072 8625


Priority Register: 0800 269 450


Priority Register: 0800 096 3080 or 0800 051 1480


The Warm Response Service: 0808 172 6999

Scottish Power

Carefree: 0800 027 1122


Careline: 0800 622 838

Find out more in the Keep Warm Keep Well leaflet.

Switching energy tariffs

Internet price comparison sites help you to find the best deal for your energy by comparing the energy tariffs from many different suppliers at once. The Ofgem Confidence Code is a Code of Practice that governs independent energy price comparison sites. This code insists that its members follow key principles for how they operate their service. The sites covered by the Confidence Code act independently of suppliers and therefore produce unbiased results. All of the comparison sites are free to use and give detailed information on each tariff produced in the search. The following websites are all accredited by the Confidence Code:



Last updated: Thursday, 1 February 2024 4:53 pm