If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness then we have support and advice available to you.

Examples of when we can assist you include:

  • You have received a notice from your landlord to leave your current home, or you have been evicted by your landlord
  • You are living with someone else who has asked you to leave their home
  • It is not reasonable to carry on living in your present accommodation because of overcrowding, harassment or if we have declared it unfit to live in
  • You cannot afford to stay where you are
  • You are living in fear of violence

Our Housing Options Service will provide you with the relevant support and advice for your housing circumstances. If you are homeless, or likely to become homeless, an assessment will be undertaken and a personal housing plan will be produced. Please contact us for assistance by:

  • Contact the Customer Service Centre by phone on 0116 288 8961.
  • E-mail housingoptions@oadby-wigston.gov.uk
  • Write to us at our postal address: Brocks Hill Council Offices, Washbrook Lane, Oadby, Leicester, LE2 5JJ

When contacting Housing Options please remember to tell us if you fall into any of the following categories:

  • persons released from prison or youth detention accommodation
  • care leaver
  • a former member of the regular armed forces
  • victim of domestic abuse
  • a person leaving the hospital
  • a person suffering from a mental illness or impairment

Our Housing Options Officers will tailor their advice to ensure that people in the above categories have their needs met specifically as required by s179(2) Housing Act 1996 as amended by the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017.

If you cannot afford to keep up with your monthly rent or mortgage payments we would encourage you to speak directly to your landlord or mortgage provider in the first instance as they may be able to provide you with support.

The rights of persons who are homeless or threatened with homelessness are outlined in the Housing Act 1996, the Homelessness Act 2002 and the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 - in addition to secondary legislation passed by the relevant Secretary of State with the powers conferred by the aforementioned Acts - and those derived through precedents made by Judges in certain Courts. Should you live outside of the Borough and wish to make a homelessness application to Oadby & Wigston Borough Council as opposed to seeking Homelessness Advisory Services (which you would do from the Council area in which you live) please contact us on the number above.

Housing Loss Prevention Advice Service

You can now access free legal support through the Housing Loss Prevention Advice Service. Accessing this support as soon as possible can help you resolve your situation.

The following government leaflet contains further information: Housing Loss Prevention Advice Service leaflet (PDF Document, 105.07 Kb)

Last updated: Wednesday, 17 January 2024 9:59 am