Skip to content

Houses in Multiple Occupancy

Under the changes in the Housing Act 2004, if a landlord lets any property which has two or more persons who do not form the same house hold will be in control of a House in Multiple Occupation and subject to regulations governing that tenancy.

From the 1st October 2018 if the landlord lets any property where there are 5 or more persons, forming two or more households the Landlord will be operating a Licensable House in Mutiple Occupation.

Failure to register a licensable House in Multiple Occupation will be guilty of operating without a licence and may be prosecuted. Should the Landlord be advised to apply for a license by the Local Authority an additional fee of £200 will be payable for the license which is currently £777 for a license for up to 5 Years.

  • in order to be an HMO the property must be used as the tenants' only or main residence and it should be used solely or mainly to house tenants. Properties let to students and migrant workers will be treated as their only or main residence and the same will apply to properties which are used as domestic refuges

If you rent out a property for house in multiple occupancy, you may require a HMO licence from your local authority. The Council operates an Amenity Standard that has been approved by Full Council the document can be found OWBC HMO and Private Sector Amenity Standard (PDF Document, 10 Mb)

Share this page:

Last updated:

Back to top