Skip to content

Take part in our Community Safety Survey. We would really like to hear your views. It is open until 31st January 2020.


This page gives information about noise, noise pollution and noise nuisance. It includes types of noise nuisance that the Council can deal with and types that we may not be able to deal with.

Noise is all around us in the environment we live in. In many cases, it is an acceptable part of life and often something that gives us pleasure, for example listening to our favourite music. However where we consider noise to be excessive or too loud for our own taste, it can become an annoyance and may even be against the law.

We can help with certain types of noise, where it is emitted from premises and we consider it to be a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. Whether a noise amounts to a statutory nuisance (noise nuisance) can depend on how loud it is, how often it happens and for how long, the type of noise it is and the reason for it being made. In most cases, we begin an investigation by asking you to keep a record of occurrences, so we can establish the basic details.

Examples of noise that the council may be able to assist with include:

  • loud music,
  • DIY (Do It Yourself) work,
  • barking dogs,
  • noise from commercial premises,
  • intruder alarms (burglar alarms),
  • vehicle alarms and
  • construction work.

If you have an intruder alarm at your home or business, we strongly advise that you provide us with key holder details so that we can contact someone quickly if the alarm rings while you are away.

If you are planning a party, be sure to tell your neighbours about it and follow our advice to reduce any disturbance to a minimum.

Contact us

Contact the Environmental Health department using the contact details in the panel on the right for:

  • an intruder alarms key holders details form,
  • more information about fireworks and fireworks noise,
  • reporting a noise nuisance and
  • any other information about noise.

Other types of noise such as road traffic, trains and aircraft are generally not covered by noise control legislation.

Share this page:

Last updated:

Back to top