Collection days

From June 2019 some collection days may be changing. To find out the day of your collections please use the 'My Location' area of this page. Your recycling and household waste will still be collected weekly on the same day.

What can and cannot be recycled?

Yes, please


Glass bottles and jars


  • Drinks cans and food tins
  • Metal biscuit and chocolate tins
  • Aerosol cans* from the kitchen and bathroom (must be empty).
  • Aluminium foil (must be clean) – scrunch it up into a ball
  • Foil trays (must be clean)


  • Plastic bottles, including from the kitchen and bathroom
  • Plastic pots, tubs, trays and punnets (any colour except black)
  • Plastic bags (not black), such as carrier bags; bread bags; salad and vegetable bags
  • Plastic film, such as bubble wrap, cling film and cellophane (must be clean)


  • Large corrugated cardboard boxes
  • Other cardboard, such as cereal boxes and card from ready meals
  • Egg boxes, toilet roll, and kitchen roll middles
  • Files and folders without metal components
  • Greeting cards (plain cards only, no glitter, fabric or embellishments)

Cartons/ Tetra Paks

  • Food and drink cartons, such as milk, soups etc
  • Crisp tubes, such as Pringles


  • Newspapers, magazines, leaflets
  • Catalogues and directories
  • Office paper and envelopes
  • Wrapping paper* (plain paper only, no glitter, fabric or embellishments)
  • Shredded paper (place inside an open-topped box such as a cereal box or paper bag to prevent the paper from blowing down the street and remember you only need to shred the part of the document that contains personal information rather than the whole document)


  • Softback books and hardback books – ideally donate for reuse where possible

No thanks


  • No flat glass/mirrors/drinking glasses etc


  • No metal tubes, such as tomato puree
  • No paint tins
  • No cooking oil tins
  • Avoid aerosols from the garage or shed that contain hazardous materials such as WD40 or spray paint


  • No black plastic of any kind, including black food trays and bags
  • No plastic tubes, such as moisturiser, sun cream, hand cream or toothpaste
  • No hard plastic, such as coat hangers; storage boxes; children’s toys; mixing bowls; Tupperware containers
  • No CDs & CD cases; video cassettes & cases
  • No plastic cutlery
  • No polystyrene
  • No trigger sprays or pump-action lids from household sprays and soaps (the bottles are fine)
  • No crisp packets or other metallised plastic wrappers i.e. from sweets; chocolates; biscuits; tea bags
  • No metallised food and drink pouches, such as from pet food or soft drinks
  • No plastic plant pots or seed trays of any colour


  • No kitchen paper/ tissues
  • No photographs
  • No takeaway pizza boxes
  • No wallpaper
  • No tissue paper

We are unable to recycle the following:

  • Food waste – place in your general waste
  • Nappies – place in your general waste
  • Textiles including clothing, footwear, handbags, belts, towels, blankets, duvets, and pillows are not acceptable in your kerbside collection. Please take them to your local charity for reuse or recycle at textile banks or your Recycling and Household Waste Site (RHWS)
  • Waste electrical or electronic equipment (WEEE) – Electrical items, batteries and light bulbs are not acceptable in the recycle bin. These need to be taken to your Recycling and Household Waste Site (RHWS) for recycling

For further information of items accepted for recycling across Leicestershire ( please visit: Less Waste Website - Items accepted for recycling at Casepak Items which can't be recycled are also highlighted.

Recycling FAQ's

I do a lot of recycling; can I have additional recycling bins?

You can buy additional recycling bins for £17 regardless of the size of the bin (140 litre or 240 litre). The Council has purchased a number of bins in bulk to help keep bin costs as low as possible. The payment for additional bins covers the cost of buying and delivering the bin including any associated administrative costs in doing so.

I currently get assistance from the Council to put out my bin bags. Is there help available to put out my recycling bin?

The Council will continue to provide an assisted collection for residents who are elderly or have a disability which means they are not able to move their bin kerbside and there is no-one else in the household who could move the bin for them. If you currently have an assisted collection this will continue for your recycling waste collection. If you would like to apply for an assisted collection please complete our online form on our Assisted Collection page or contact our Customer Service Team on 0116 288 8961.

Can I continue taking glass jars and bottles to the bottle banks?

The bottle banks across the borough have been removed. All glass jars and bottles should be put in your recycling bin.

When should I put my bin out for collection?

Recycling wheeled bins must be presented kerbside by 7 am on your collection day. Bins should be removed from the kerbside as soon as possible after collection but no later than 10 pm on the day of collection.

Can I put used lightbulbs in my recycling wheeled bin?

No. Light bulbs can be recycled at your local Recycling and Household Waste site on Wigston Road, Oadby LE2 5JE.

Do I have to remove the lids from jars and bottles?

No, there is no need to remove the lids from jars and bottles.

Do I need to squash down plastic bottles and cartons before I put them in the recycling wheeled bin?

Yes, plastic bottles and cartons can be squashed to increase capacity.

Do I need to rinse out food containers?

Yes, please rinse out your food and drink containers. Food waste can contaminate other items in your recycling bag which may mean they cannot be recycled. Washing out containers will reduce the smell.

Where can I recycle cooking oil?

Cooking oil will no longer be collected kerbside. You can recycle cooking oil at the Recycling and Household Waste site on Wigston Road, Oadby LE2 5JE. There are special containers for oil.

Where can I recycle textiles, clothes and shoes?

Unwanted textiles, clothes and shoes can be recycled at designated banks that are located across the Borough.

Oadby -

  • Uplands Park, 39 Uplands Road, Oadby LE2 4NT
  • Coombe Park, Coombe Rise, Oadby LE2 5TU
  • East Street Car Park, 8 Harborough Road, Oadby LE2 5AF
  • Sandhurst Street Car Park, Oadby LE2 5AR
  • Briar Meads, Oadby LE2 5WD

South Wigston -

  • Countesthorpe Road Car Park, South Wigston LE18 4PG
  • Gloucester Crescent, South Wigston LE18 4XJ

My cardboard is too big to fit in the wheeled bin, what should I do?

Large cardboard can be flattened and left next to your recycling wheeled bin for collection.

How can I dispose of batteries?

Batteries can be recycled at various locations including, Customer Services, 40 Bell Street, Wigston LE18 1AD, local libraries, local shops and at the Recycling Housing Waste Site on Wigston Road, Oadby LE2 5JE.

What will happen if I put the wrong items in my recycling wheeled bin?

If your recycling bin contains non-recyclable items we will not be able to collect it. Our crew will place a bin hanger on your bin advising you to remove the non-recyclable items and to place your bin out for collection the following week.

Your recycling bin has been left out for collection but has not been emptied.

If your bin has not been emptied on the collection day and you are sure that there were no incorrect items within, please contact Customer Services on (0116) 288 8961 within 24 hours of the non-collection.

What happens to my recycling?

After collection, your recycling is taken to the Materials Recycling Facility (MRF) at Casepak in Leicester. The mixed recycling materials are separated using state of the art equipment; it is then bailed and sent for reprocessing to be made into new products.

If you'd like to know more about what happens to your recycling please visit: Less Waste Website - What happens to your kerbside recycling

Last updated: Thursday, 18 February 2021 4:09 pm