Under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 it is illegal to use any premises, vessel or stall for the purposes of a 'sex establishment' without the approval of Oadby and Wigston Borough Council.

Consultation on council policy

Oadby and Wigston Borough Council are currently consulting on its policy in relation to 'sex establishments'. The current policy can be downloaded below.

Licensing of Sex Establishments Policy

About Sex Establishments

There are three types of Sex Establishment licensable under the above Act, namely, Sex Shops, Sex Cinemas and as of April 2010 Sexual Entertainment Venues as introduced by the Policing and Crime Act 2009.

Definitions of a sex establishment

Sex cinema

A Sex Cinema is any premises, vehicle, vessel or stalls used to a significant degree for the exhibition of moving pictures concerned primarily with the portrayal of, deal with, or relate to sexual activity.

Sex shop

A Sex Shop is any premises, vehicle, vessel or stalls which consists to a significant degree of selling, hiring, exchanging lending, displaying or demonstrating sex articles or other things intended for use in sexual activity.

Sexual entertainment venue

A 'Sexual Entertainment Venue', means any premises that provide entertainment before a live audience for the financial gain of the organiser and the entertainment is 'relevant entertainment.'

The council has adopted a policy on the licensing of sex establishments which potential applicants are advised to read. This sets out the requirements an applicant must meet to be able to apply for a licence in the Borough of Oadby and Wigston. The policy also explains the application procedure and the matters that will be of relevance to the Council when considering applications.

Online Application

Licence Summary

A licence is needed before a sex establishment can be operated in the Borough of Oadby and Wigston.

Eligibility Criteria

An applicant:

  • must be at least 18 years old
  • must not be disqualified from holding a licence
  • must have been resident in the UK at least six months immediately before the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK
  • must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal.

Application Evaluation Process

Fees will be payable for applications and conditions may be attached.

Applications must contain any information the local authority requires, as well as the applicant's name, address and, where the applicant is an individual, their age, plus the address of the premises.

Applicants must give public notice of their application by publishing an advertisement in a local newspaper.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is the policy of the Council that all applications are determined at a public hearing by a panel of the Council’s licensing committee. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Apply online

Apply for a new sex shop or sex cinema licence or the renewal of a sex shop or sex cinema licence

Apply to change an existing licence

To apply for a new sex encounter venue please contact us.

Failed Application Redress
Please contact us, in the first instance.

Licence Holder Redress
Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

Last updated: Friday, 24 February 2023 12:58 pm