We can deal with vehicles that are genuinely abandoned by their owners. When deciding if a vehicle is abandoned we take into account;

  • Is the vehicle untaxed and does it have number plates?
  • Are any of the tyres flat or windows broken?
  • Is there any mould, growth or a large amount of rubbish inside?
  • Has the vehicle been vandalised?

We will make every effort to find the owner before we remove it from the street, so you may not see the car removed immediately after you report it to us. Removal can take up to 31 days although, if the vehicle is a danger to the public, we can remove it as soon as legislation allows.

There are prescribed fees and charges for the removal, storage and disposal of vehicles attributed to dealing with abandoned vehicles the fees can be found in Table 1, 2 and 3 of the regulations.

Report an abandoned vehicle

We do not have powers to deal with a vehicle that is in current use but has been parked illegally or on the highway causing an obstruction. This is a matter for the Police who can be contacted on Leicester (0116) 222 2222. Also, we cannot deal with a vehicle being used without a current road tax. This should be reported to the Police or directly to the .

You can check if a vehicle is taxed or declared SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) at via the Gov.uk website.

Nuisance Parking

The offence of selling vehicles on the road is intended to target those people who run a business selling motor vehicles and use the road as a mock showroom. This behaviour is unfair to our local residents who are deprived of using the road themselves to park their vehicles and go about their daily lives. Nuisance Parking and Abandoned Vehicles (PDF Document, 287.15 Kb)

If two or more cars are being exposed for sale within 500m of each other we can prosecute. The fine on conviction is up to £2,500. The council may deal with the matter by issuing a £200 Fixed Penalty Notice.

If you are planning to sell vehicles as a business from a residential property then you will need to get planning permission. Please see our planning pages to find out more.

Repairing vehicles on the road

It is an offence for a business to carry out restricted works to a vehicle on a road. It is also an offence to carry out such works if it causes annoyance to persons in the vicinity. Restricted works of a vehicle or any part of a vehicle include repair; maintenance; servicing; improvement or dismantling.

A person guilty of this offence can be prosecuted by the council and on conviction can be fined up to £2,500. The council may deal with the matter by issuing a £200 Fixed Penalty Notice.

Last updated: Monday, 6 July 2020 9:19 pm