The council's role in animal welfare is to issue licences in pet shops and boarding and riding establishments. For example, we issue licences for:

  • Horse riding establishments

  • Dog breeding establishments

  • Animal boarding establishments

  • Dangerous wild animals

  • Performing Animals

If you would like to apply for a licence for one of these establishments please use our online enquiry form and an officer will get back to you.

Other agencies

The RSPCA deals with animal cruelty issues. You can use their email enquiry service My RSPCA to report a mistreated, neglected, injured or distressed animal. You can also call their 24-hour cruelty line on 0300 1234 999.

Defra also has some responsibilities for animal welfare, for example:

  • National animal health and welfare strategy
  • Animal welfare at farms, markets, slaughterhouses
  • The pet travel scheme
  • International trade in animals
  • Animal diseases - control and surveillance, BSE, tuberculosis, scrapie, foot and mouth disease
  • Animal by-products
  • Wildlife conservation and biodiversity
  • Wildlife crime

The Defra help line is: 0845 933 5577

Last updated: Monday, 6 July 2020 8:10 pm