This page gives you information on whether you can appeal against a decision of the local planning authority, the different types of appeal and how to make an appeal online or through the post, including links to external sites.

If you have not received a decision on your application within the statutory time periods for determination, you have your application refused, or you have received permission subject to a condition which you are unhappy about, then you may appeal against the Local Planning Authority's decision to an independent body known as the Planning Inspectorate. Only the person who has made the application can make an appeal to the Planning Inspectorate. Most appeals are determined by an exchange of correspondence (known as the written representations procedure), for Householder developments, there is an expedited service, known as the Householder Appeals Service. Further information on this can be found on the Householder appeals page of the Planning Portal. There is an expedited appeals process for certain minor commercial developments for which further details can be found on the Planning Portal.

Depending on the type of application, there are different time scales in which you will need to make a valid appeal which ranges from 28 days to six months from the date of the decision (or the non-decision if no decision has been made within the statutory time period).

Before deciding to make an appeal to the Planning Inspectorate you are strongly advised to contact the local planning authority to discuss your proposal to see whether any objections to your proposal can be overcome without the need to make an appeal. There is also further guidance on the differing types of appeal and the timescale on the Appeals pages of the Planning Portal.

Appeal types

There are many different types of appeals which the Planning Inspectorate deal with. These include subject matters such as listed buildings, conservation areas, lawful development certificates and tree preservation orders. Further advice on each of these areas can be found on the Other appeals and casework pages on the Planning Portal.

Information of enforcement notice appeals can be found on the Enforcement appeals pages on the Planning Portal.

Information relating to high hedge appeals and hedgerow retention notices appeals can be found on the Access and environmental casework pages on the Planning Portal.

How to make an appeal

You can make a planning appeal online via the Planning Portal or you can obtain a paper copy of the appeal forms by contacting the Planning Inspectorate on their customer support telephone line on Bristol (0117) 372 6372.

Last updated: Wednesday, 15 July 2020 4:25 pm