General information on how to find out if planning (or any associated) permission is required, and general advice on the planning merits of a particular proposal, including works to a private dwelling house and the One-stop-shop form.

The fees the Council charge for dealing with pre-application advice has changed. The table below are the fees payable from the 1st April 2021.

Pre-application or general advice

On the 2nd April 2012, the Council started charging for dealing with most types of pre-application advice. The charge levied will depend on the type and scale of the proposal.

Not all development requires planning permission and sometimes it is possible to carry out work under permitted development rights. This is where the need for planning permission is not required because the work is classed as permitted development in accordance with the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development Order) 2015. There are strict qualifying criteria for permitted development including whether the land or property in question actually has any permitted development rights.

The Council is committed to working with prospective applicants to improve the quality of planning submissions by offering pre-application advice. The Development Plan and the Council's Supplementary Planning Documents contain policies and advice which applicants should refer to before making an application.

The Council encourages prospective applicants to contact the Planning Control team to discuss their proposals before making an application.

Pre-Application Advice is promoted through the National Planning Policy Framework:

'The more issues that can be resolved at the pre-application stage, the greater the benefits. For their role in the planning system to be effective and positive, statutory planning consultees will need to take the same early, pro-active approach, and provide advice in a timely manner throughout the development process. This assists local planning authorities in issuing timely decisions, helping to ensure that applicants do not experience unnecessary delays and costs.'

'Early engagement has significant potential to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the planning application system for all parties. Good quality pre-application discussion enables better coordination between public and private resources and improved outcomes for the community.'

Pre-application advice is available to anyone who is thinking about submitting an application to Oadby and Wigston Borough Council. However, we do not provide design service. It is highly likely that you will need to employ the services of a professional architect or plan drawer if you need help with the design of a scheme.

The benefits of pre-application advice can include:

  1. It gives you an opportunity to understand how our policies will be applied to your development and you can identify potential problems and sort them out before an application is submitted. This can help prevent costly and time-consuming amendments to schemes later.
  2. It may indicate that a proposal has little or no realistic chance of success, thus saving you considerable time and money.
  3. It may lead to a reduction in time spent by your professional advisers in working up the proposals in more detail.
  4. It can identify at an early stage whether any specialist advice is necessary - for example about listed buildings, trees, landscape, transport, ecology or archaeology.
  5. We can discuss with you the details of the proposal, such as its design and the materials to be used. This can help you prepare a better planning application so we can process it more quickly and give you a decision sooner.
  6. Identify opportunities for scheme improvements at a stage when a proposal can still be modified, resulting in higher quality developments.
  7. Significantly increase the likelihood of gaining planning permission.
  8. Avoid delays as a result of changes, amendments or unforeseen issues.
  9. Learn about Planning Obligations (known as Section 106 Agreements that are sometimes applicable to minor and major application).
  10. Help ensure any relevant Section 106 Agreement is completed in time.

Dropped Kerb

To find out if a dropped kerb requires planning permission complete the dropped kerb enquiry form.

Make a dropped kerb enquiry

Please Note

General planning advice is available free on the planning portal (

If you are seeking pre-application advice on larger scale schemes, you will need to submit a written request to the Planning Control team together with appropriate details of the site and the proposal.

You can contact the Planning Control team through the contact details on the right-hand side of this page.

Please try to give as much information as possible, such as a location plan and any other relevant plans or sketches including dimensions in metres. To assist in the process, the Council has developed a one-stop-shop development enquiry form and leaflet.

One Stop Shop Form (PDF Document, 218.69 Kb)

If you require planning permission the appropriate forms can be downloaded from the How to Submit a Planning (or Associated) Application web page.

Works to a private dwelling house or within its curtilage.

Central Government has made provision for certain works within the curtilage of a dwelling house to not need planning permission from the Local Planning Authority. This provision is known as 'permitted development' rights. However, in some instances, the Local Planning Authority may have imposed a planning condition removing these rights - which means that planning permission would be required (but there is currently no fee payable to the Local Planning Authority to consider the application). You are therefore strongly advised to check whether any proposed extensions, alterations or outbuildings (including sheds, conservatories and carports) require permission from the Local Planning Authority before you carry out any works.

Technical Guidance - Permitted Development for Householders (PDF Document, 250.34 Kb)

From the 30 May 2013, the central government have introduced a prior notification procedure in relation to single-storey extensions to the rear of the original dwellinghouse. This applies where the proposed extension would project between 3 and 6 metres on a terraced or semi-detached house, or between 4 and 8 metres on a detached house.

The Planning Portal has useful interactive house guides which give further advice on the interpretation of the legislation.

Pre-Application Fees

The following tables set out the Council's fees for dealing with pre-application enquiries.

Do I need Planning (or associated) Permission?

see below

Property - TPO or Conservation Area Enquiry (i.e. is my property is a Conservation Area or do I have trees subject to a Tree Preservation Order)


Dead or Dangerous Tree Enquiry


Persons with a disability

Where a proposal is to alter or extend an existing dwelling for a disabled person (who is living or intending to live at that property) or where the application is for works within the curtilage of an existing house to create access for, or to provide for or improve the health or comfort of a disabled person (who is living or intending to live at that property) – exemptions follow the same procedure as those for planning applications (i.e. section 29 of the National Assistance Act 1948 or the Children’s Act 1989)


Formal Determinations (fee currently determined by nationally set schedule)

Certificate of Lawfulness for a Proposed Use or Development

half normal planning fee

Certificate of Lawful Development

normal planning fee

Householder Proposal Enquiries

(Including if permission is required/dropped kerb/home working enquiries/tree works)

Permitted Development Restriction Enquiry £30
Basic Service (desk based assessment with no follow ups) £50
Gold Service (includes one site visit or meeting, a written response, plus one follow-up proposal) £98

New Residential Unit Enquiries (including if permission is required)

1-3 new dwellings


4-9 new dwellings


10-49 new dwellings


50 or more dwellings


Commercial/Other Enquiries (including if permission is required)

lawful use of premises enquiry


Change of Use/No additional floor space/telecoms/advertisements/tree works etc


Additional floor space up to 500 square metres


between 500 and 999 additional square metres


over 1000 additional square metres


What should the customer expect from the service?

For a basic service householder enquiry, the response should include details of whether planning permission or building regulation consent is required. If Planning Permission is required, then a desk-based assessment (using tools such as Google street view, aerial photography, planning history check, previous pre-application or applications) should be undertaken to assess the acceptability of such a proposal and advice given (as appropriate). This should be communicated back to the customer in writing (preferably by e-mail) within 15 working days.

For a gold service householder enquiry, the Planning Officer should offer the customer the choice of a site visit or a meeting. A site visit or meeting should be arranged (but not necessarily undertaken) within five working days of the enquiry. Having completed either the Site Visit or the meeting a written response should be given in a similar fashion to the basic service. This process should be completed within 20 working days. With the gold service, the customer has the opportunity to have one follow up proposal without further charge.

For Residential and commercial enquiries, the handling of the enquiry should follow the principles of the gold service householder but with the involvement of other departments/consulates as necessary (for example LCC Highways, OWBC Planning Policy, OWBC Environmental Health etc). For smaller developments (i.e. less than £500 fee) the process should be completed within 20 working days.

If the proposal relates to a size of development which has a fee of £500 then the customer can have a series of meetings/site visits which should not exceed four in total. If the proposal relates to a size of development than has a fee of £1,000 then the customer can have a series of meetings/site visits which should not exceed eight in total.

The timescales for dealing with major development enquiries will be discussed and agreed with the customer.

Last updated: Thursday, 15 April 2021 8:34 am