Am I Eligible to Stand for Election?

The election of all 26 Borough Councillors to Oadby & Wigston Borough Council occurs every four years in May.

To stand for election, on the day of nomination, you must be:

  • 18 or over
  • A UK, EU or Commonwealth citizen

You must meet at least one of the following qualifications:

  • Be registered to vote as a local government elector in the area
  • Occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in the local authority area
  • Your main or only place of work is in the local authority area
  • Live in the local authority area

You cannot stand if:

  • You work for the Council
  • You hold a politically restricted post for another local authority
  • You are bankrupt
  • You have served a prison sentence (including suspended sentences) of 3 months or more within 5 years before the election
  • You have been disqualified under any legislation relating to corrupt or illegal electoral practices
  • You are subject to certain relevant notification requirements or orders due to sexual offences

Standing as a Councillor for a Political Party

The majority of people become Councillors as a result of joining a political party.

However, you do not need to be a member of a political party to stand as a Councillor. You will be classed as an independent.

If you are thinking of standing as a candidate for a particular political party, then you will need to be a member of that party's local organisation.

What Do I Do Next?

Once you have decided to stand for election as a Councillor, you will need to complete and return a Nomination Pack by the required deadline.

You will need to be proposed and then seconded by another person.

The independent group of the Local Government Association (LGA) has prepared a helpful guide for Councillors and candidates (please see below).

Full details of the electoral process including the nomination procedure are available on request by contacting Electoral Services.

Last updated: Monday, 23 October 2023 4:33 pm