Voter ID Requirements

The UK Government has introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station at some elections. This new requirement will apply for the first time at the local elections on 4 May 2023.

This new requirement will affect all voters across the Borough of Oadby and Wigston who vote in person or by proxy. Postal voters are not be required to provide photo ID when voting by post.

Accepted Forms of Photo ID

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable.

The name on your ID should be the same name you used to register to vote.

You can still use your photo ID even if it's out of date, as long as the photo on the ID still looks like you.

You can use any of the following:

  • Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
  • Photographic driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state (including provisional)
  • European Economic Area (EEA) photographic ID card
  • Biometric immigration document
  • An identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (PASS card)
  • Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
  • Blue Badge
  • Older Person's Bus Pass
  • Disabled Person's Bus Pass
  • Oyster 60+ Bus Pass
  • Freedom Pass
  • Voter Authority Certificate or temporary Voter Authority Certificate

The complete list of accepted forms of photo ID is also available to view on the Electoral Commission's website.

If You Don’t Have an Accepted Form of Photo ID?

If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, or if your name on your photo ID is different to the name you used to register to vote, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate.

The deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate for the local elections on 4 May 2023 has now passed which was 5:00 pm on Tuesday 25 April 2023.

You can apply for this online by clicking the button below.

Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate

Alternatively, you can complete a paper application form available at the bottom of this page and send this by e-mail to or by post to Electoral Services, Oadby and Wigston Borough Council, Council Offices, Station Road, Wigston, Leicestershire, LE18 2DR.

If you need any help with applying for a certificate, contact Electoral Services on (0116) 288 8961 or at .

Postal Voting and Voter ID

Postal voters will not be affected by the requirement to provide photo ID at the polling station.

For more information, visit our dedicated Postal Voting page.

Proxy Voting and Voter ID

If you vote by proxy, the person that votes on your behalf will need to provide their own accepted photo ID at the polling station. If they do not provide a valid form of ID, they will not be permitted to vote on your behalf.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will photocopies or a picture of identification be accepted?

No, you must present an original form of photo ID. A photograph or photocopy will not be accepted as photo-editing software could be used to edit them, making them susceptible to fraudulent alteration.

My photo ID has expired, what should I do?

Expired photo ID is still accepted, as long as the photograph is still a good likeness of you.

My name on the electoral register is different from the name on my photo ID, what should I do?

The decision on whether an identification document bearing a different name or an alternative spelling of a name from the one on the register can be accepted will be at the discretion of the polling station staff, who must be satisfied that the identification provided is acceptable.

If your name has changed, for example through marriage, you may be required to provide further proof of identity, such as a marriage certificate, providing evidence of a name change.

What should I do if my ID is lost, stolen or damaged close to polling day?

If this happens before the deadline for applications for a Voter Authority Certificate, you may apply for one.

If this happens after the deadline, you may apply for an emergency proxy up until 5:00 pm on polling day. This is when you will nominate someone that you trust to go to the polling station to vote on your behalf.

What should I do if I can't provide a digital photograph to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate?

If you are unable to provide a digital photo, then you can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate via a paper application form and provide a physical photograph with that application. An online application cannot be made if you do not have (or cannot take) a digital photo.

Find Out More

Please refer to the 'Voter ID' information booklet below produced by the Electoral Commission:

Voter ID Information Booklet (PDF Document, 1.27 Mb)

A list of other 'Frequently Asked Questions' produced by the Electoral Commission can also be found below:

Voter ID FAQs (PDF Document, 118.94 Kb)

If you have any questions or would like to find out more, go to, or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

Last updated: Tuesday, 25 April 2023 6:20 pm