Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs)

DHPs are intended to be a short term measure to provide extra help with your Housing costs. They are not guaranteed and depend upon a customers circumstances. Any payment is awarded on top of any Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing costs that you already receive. In general housing costs means rent. It can also include rent deposits and other lump-sum costs such as removal costs.

You can apply for a DHP if you are already in receipt of Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit, and you have a shortfall between the amount of rent you pay and the amount of Help you receive.

There are certain scenarios in which we cannot award a DHP, these include:

  • For parts of your rent that are not covered by Housing Benefit such as charges for fuel, hot water, water and sewerage and meals
  • If your rent is increased to pay off outstanding rent arrears we cannot award a DHP to cover the increased rent
  • Whilst Housing Benefit is suspended
  • To cover sanctions or reductions in your benefit (where your benefit is reduced because you have broken the terms of your claim)

Discretionary Council Tax Support (DCTS)

DCTS is awarded if we think you need help with your council tax and is on top of any Council Tax Support you are awarded. The scheme is there to help people who are experiencing severe financial hardship who need extra help to pay the Council Tax. You can find out more about DCTS by visiting our Discretionary Council Tax page.

How to apply

To apply for a DHP or DCTS you will need to complete the Discretionary Payment Claim Form below, this can now be completed online.

For your application for DHP to be considered, we will require two months bank statements from you. These should be your most recent consecutive bank statements for all accounts held by you (and your partner, if you have one). Please email your bank statements to benefits@oadby-wigston.gov.uk please quote ‘DHP application’ and your Benefit Claim reference number or your address in the subject heading.

Make a claim for a Discretionary Payment

Discretionary Payment Claim Form (PDF Document, 145.83 Kb)

Discretionary Payment Claim Form Notes (PDF Document, 3.7 Mb)

If you would prefer us to send you an application form or you need further advice please contact the Benefits Team by email or by phone. Our contact details are at the side of this page.

When we receive your application, some of the things we will consider when deciding whether to award a DHP or DCTS are:

  • Your income and whether you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to
  • Whether you have any savings you can use
  • If anyone else in the house or in your family can help you
  • If you have any loans or debts
  • If you could manage your money better
  • If anyone in your family is ill or disabled
  • If you have tried to put the situation right yourself

For DHP the Government only allows us a limited annual amount to spend on this scheme. Any extra help that is awarded may not cover the whole shortfall between your rent and benefit entitlement and an award may only be for a limited period.

For DCTS there is a limited amount to spend on the scheme. The funds are provided by Oadby and Wigston Borough Council, Leicestershire County Council, Leicestershire Fire & Leicestershire Police Authorities.

Discretionary Payments Policy

Discretionary Payments Policy 2024-25 (PDF Document, 204.09 Kb)

Last updated: Monday, 15 April 2024 12:20 pm