Skip to content

Do I need Building Regulations approval to install replacement windows, doors or roof lights in my house?

Yes, an application for Building Regulations Approval for the installation of replacement windows, doors and/or roof-lights will be required, unless the installer is registered on one of the following Competent Person Schemes:-

  • BM Trada Certification Limited,
  • British Standards Institution (BSI),
  • CERTASS Limited,
  • Fensa Limited or
  • NETWORK VEKA Limited.

However, where an opening is to be enlarged an application for Building Regulations approval will be required irrespective of the fitters registration on one of the a fore mentioned schemes.

Related Pages (8)

  • Recovering and repairing existing roofs and the Building Regulations

    The following provides guidance with regard to the Building Regulations when re-covering or repairing pitched and flat roofs.

  • Electrical Safety In and Around Dwellings

    Guidance on electrical safety in dwellings as detailed in Approved Document P of the Building Regulations, routes to compliance, and information on competent person schemes with a search facility for registered contractors.

  • New and Replacement Boilers

    Information regarding the provision of new and replacement domestic central heating boilers, including a list of approved competent person schemes for gas, oil and solid fuel combustion appliances.

  • Replacement Windows Doors and Roof-Lights

    Information on the installation of replacement windows, doors and roof-lights and how to apply for building regulations consent.

  • Wind and Solar Power Generator Installations

    Information on wind and solar power generators in relation to Building Regulations requirements, with external links to grant funding and further information on renewable energy sources.

  • Is Building Regulations approval required

    Find out if Building Regulations Approval is required for your proposal and what works are exempt under schedule 2 of The Building Regulations.

  • Competent Persons Schemes

    Information about the competent persons schemes, with a link to the Department of Communities and Local Government website that provides a list of the current scheme providers and their contact details.

  • Cavity Wall Insulation

    Information regarding the injection of cavity wall insulation including routes to compliance and competent person schemes.

Back to top