Frequently Asked Questions Logo

The national site for Local Authority Building Control (LABC).

Promoting the design and construction of safe, accessible, environmentally efficient buildings that comply with the Building Regulations. A variety of information with regard to building control can be obtained here.

Labc Registered Details LogoLABC Registered Details scheme details.

LABC Registered Systems are elements of a building that are constructed or installed in practically the same way on any site or project (whereas LABC Registered Solutions will vary according to site specific design requirements, LABC Registered Systems will have little variation). Warranty logo

LABC Warranty works in partnership with LABC (Local Authority Building Control) to provide you with a complete range of developer services to support construction from start to finish, from residential and non-residential warranties, right through to assessments and testing.

Further information regarding of LABC Warranty and other services can be found by visiting their website Portal Logo

The government gateway to planning and building regulation information throughout the United Kingdom. It provides information on plans, appeals, applications, contact details and research areas.

Dclg LogoThe Department of Communities and Local Government.

The government department responsible for building regulations and planning in England.

Health and Safety Executive LogoHome of the the Health and Safety Executive and Health and Safety Commission, otherwise known as the HSE.

If you are having construction or refurbishment work carried out, you may need to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and you may have other duties as well. The HSE web site contains further information about this.

The Considerate Constructors Scheme. Considerate Contractors Scheme Logo

This is a voluntary Code of Considerate Practice, which is adopted by participating construction companies, and everyone involved on the construction site.

Federation of Master Builders LogoThe Federation of Master Builders (FMB).

Partnered with LABC for a considerable number of years, the federation is a leading establishment representing builders across the United Kingdom.

The FMB find a builder web site contains information to home owners on choosing a reputable builder.

The FMB also provide a facility to download a free contract for you and your builder to use.

www.royalmail.comRoyal Mail Logo

The Royal Mail address management unit, responsible for the issuing of postcodes to new address allocated by the Council

NNDR stands for National Non Domestic Rates, more commonly known as Business Rates. Throughout this website NNDR is referred to as Business Rates.

Contaminated land if defined in Part 2A of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 as "any land which appears to the local authority in whose area it is situated to be in such a condition, by reason of substances in or under the land, that significant harm is being caused or there is a significant possibility of such harm being caused, or pollution of controlled waters is being, or is likely to be caused".

It is important to note that land that does not fit the legal definition of contaminated land may still be affected by contaminants.

Your weekly entitlement to council tax benefit will be converted to an annual amount, credited directly to your Council Tax account and be deducted from the balance that is due to be paid.

Payment of Housing Benefit will depend upon the type of your tenancy and other circumstances for example:

If you are a Council tenant then your weekly entitlement will be credited to your rent account so that the actual weekly rent that you pay will be the difference between the full rent and your housing benefit entitlement.

If you are a tenant of a private or Registered Social Landlord then your Housing Benefit entitlement may be paid either, to you, or to your landlord, by BACS (Bankers Automated Credit System) straight into a bank account or by cheque. If it is paid to you then you will be paid in arrears every 2 weeks but if it is paid to your landlord it will be paid in arrears every 4 weeks. You can sometimes decide who should receive the payment. However, if you are 8 weeks or more in arrears with your rent your landlord can insist that housing benefit be paid directly to them. Claims made now, at a new address, will be subject to the Local Housing Allowance rules which mean that, with certain exceptions, housing benefit is only paid to the tenant.

You will receive a reminder for the first instalment that is late. If you want to carry on paying by instalments, you must pay the amount shown on the reminder within 7 days. If you do not pay this amount within 7 days, you will lose you right to pay by instalments and you will have to pay the full balance of your business rates after a further 7 days.

If we cancel your instalments because you have not paid on time, we will apply to the Magistrates Court for a Summons to be issued against you to enable recovery of the whole outstanding balance.

any charitable, benevolent, or philanthropic purpose.

Bumble Bees

Bumble bees are the large, furry bees that you will see flying on their own in your garden.

Their colonies can be found in places such as compost heaps, banks under hedges and beneath garden decking. The nest is a ball of vegetation with wax cells inside it and usually contains no more than 150 bees.

Bumble bees are unlikely to sting unless you touch them or disturb their nest, in which case they will want to defend themselves from what they see as an attack.

After the summer, bumble bees die out and only the females survive by finding a suitable place to spend the winter so they can start new colonies in the spring.

If you see a swarm of bees in this country, you can be sure they are not bumble bees, as bumble bees do not swarm.

Honey bees

In this country, honey bees are the only type of bee that will swarm.

A swarm is a ball of bees, the size of a football or larger, that will move from place to place looking for a suitable place to nest. This can be a space such as a hollow in a tree or in a cavity in a building.

This usually happens during May, June and July.

Swarms can be found in trees, on buildings and around chimneys. If they are left alone they usually present no serious risk to humans or animals.

If a swarm settles and remains outside, you can contact a bee keeper who may be prepared to collect the swarm from you.

The simplest way to prevent a nest being established in buildings on your land is to make sure brickwork and pointing is in good condition, so there is no way for the bees to get into cavities of your buildings.

Masonry bees

Masonry bees, or mortar bees, are a similar colour to honey bees but they do not swarm.

Their natural habitat is in earth banks or soft exposed rocks, but they can tunnel into soft mortar joints of buildings, which is how they get their name.

Although they are harmless to human health as they cannot successfully sting humans, they can cause significant damage to a building over a number of years.

The best way of dealing with this is to make sure you keep the pointing and brickwork of your property well maintained and in good condition.

In Oadby and Wigston it is the Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996. This makes dog fouling an offence unless the person in charge of the dog clears up immediately.

There is an exception for registered blind people who are in charge of a guide dog.

Anyone who does not clear up may be liable to a fixed penalty fine, currently set at £50.00.

Application forms for blue badges can be obtained, in person, from our Customer Service Centres. An application can also be downloaded from Leicestershire County Council's website or from

Although you may receive a car parking fine within the borough, it is distributed by the Leicestershire County Council (LCC) Notice Processing Centre.

Payments for car parking fines can only be accepted by us if they are paid by cash at the main council offices. If you wish to dispute your fine or pay by an alternative method, you should go to the Leicestershire County Council webpage for car parking fines and follow the instructions.

The Council sets the standard level of Council Tax (called the band D tax level) in February/March each year. Each home is in one of eight valuation bands A to H based on the property’s capital value as at 1 April 1991. The actual tax paid depends on which band the property is in.

Leicestershire County Council are responsible for details regarding schools within the borough. You can find out which schools are within your area on their website.

The Council’s preferred method of payment is direct debit, but it also offers a wide variety of other payment methods. For details please see the back of your Council Tax bill or visit our Payment Options webpage.

The RV (rateable value) of a property is assessed by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) who are an independent Government agency. The RV forms the basis of the calculation of your business rates liability. If you feel that your rates bill is too high, or if you have a valuation matter you wish to discuss, please address it to the VOA.

Instalments detailed on your rates bill must continue to be made on the basis of the existing assessment as it appears in the current rating list, even whilst an appeal is outstanding. Once official notification is received from the VOA of an amendment to the list, any necessary alterations to your account will be made and any appropriate refund issued, with interest for a qualifying overpayment.

Currently, the rate is £10 at weekends and you can play as many holes as you like. In the week, the rate is £9.

Showing 1 to 15 of 1