Frequently Asked Questions


There is nothing to stop this but remember amplified sound and/or a live band will increase the chances of causing a noise disturbance to your neighbours.
Generally speaking, we do not encourage live, amplified music at private homes as most homes in Oadby, Wigston and South Wigston are very close to others and there is a good chance that the noise will cause a disturbance.
We strongly advise that you finish at a time that neighbours will consider reasonable.

Again there is nothing to stop this but the longer noise is made, the greater is the chance that you could cause a statutory nuisance and that your neighbours will have a genuine complaint.
If you must have a number of parties over two or more days, you should make extra sure that your neighbours are prepared for this and agree with them acceptable finish times. These times might be earlier than you would like, but where people live close together and are easily affected by activities at someone else’s home, you do need to show consideration and courtesy.

An application for Building Regulations Approval for the installation in a building of a system to produce electricity, heat or cooling, by micro generation or from renewable sources will be required, unless the installer is registered on one of the following Competent Person Schemes for the installation of micro generation and renewable technologies:-

  • Association of Plumbing and Heating Contractors (Certification) Limited (APHC),
  • Building Engineering Services Competence Accreditation Limited (BESCA),
  • British Standards Institution (BSI),
  • Benchmark Certification Limited (CORGI),
  • ECA Certification Limited (ELECSA),
  • HETAS Limited,
  • NAPIT Registration Limited (NAPIT),
  • Ascertiva Group Limited (NICEIC),
  • Stroma Certification Limited (STROMA).

Please note that it is possible for the installer to be registered on one of the above competent person schemes but not be registered for works to micro generation and renewable technologies, it is therefore important that you ensure that their scheme registration is appropriate to the work that is to be undertaken.

Refuse and brown and green recycling bags are collected from your property on a weekly basis. Garden waste and glass recycling (if you have a collection on your road) are collected on a fortnightly basis.

The refuse and recycling webpage will tell you when your next collection is. Alternatively, you can contact Customer Services: 40 Bell Street, Wigston, Leicestershire LE18 1AD Tel: (0116) 288 8961.

Collection of larger items should be booked in with Customer Services as a separate collection. This will not be taken with any other collection.

There are several different types of Buildings Regulations application that can be made, however they are not all suitable for every situation. There are three ways in which applications can be made to the Council.

Different types of application and how to make them:-

Please note that when submitting a Building Regulations application a fee will be payable, more information on our fees can be found within our schedule of charges.

You must book in your collection with our Customer Services on (0116) 288 8961 and be given a price for this collection.

Payment can be made by either a debit or credit card by contacting Customer Services (0116) 288 8961 or by cash or cheque by visiting Customer Services: 40 Bell Street, Wigston, Leicestershire LE18 1AD.

You will need to provide the property address details when making a payment.

Once the fee has been paid, we will reply within 5 working days. In most cases this will be a full response but if we need more time for this, we will let you know.

£62.40 including VAT, for a single property.

Fireworks are inherently dangerous explosives and need to be used with extreme care.
Always follow the safety advice on the instructions.
Your garden should be sufficiently large to enable guests to stand well away from the lighting area and it is not a good idea for someone under the influence of alcohol to light them.
There are also time restrictions when the law allows fireworks to be lit.
Visit our fireworks page for more advice about using fireworks safely and within the law.

Payment can be accepted by cash - only at the main Council Offices and by cheque - at our Customer Service Centre or by post. Payment can be made by card either online using our payment web page or over the telephone on Leicester (0116) 257 2850. You will need your invoice reference number when making a payment.

Oadby Waste Site (tip) is operated by Leicestershire County Council. For opening times and more information, please visit the Leicestershire County Council website.

There are no specific restrictions or times that relate to parties in private homes. However the police can take action if you or your guests cause a disturbance and the council can take action if the noise from the party causes a nuisance.
A nuisance can occur at any time but is more likely to cause disturbance to others at night..
See our information on statutory nuisance for more details of what the council can do.

You can tell us if you have any information that could lead our officers to witness an offence.

You can tell us if you can identify anyone who does not clear up after their dog.

You can give us a witness statement if you have seen an offence.

If you think a new dog bin or more dog bins will help, please let us know where you think they should be put.

Bumble Bees

Bumble bees are the large, furry bees that you will see flying on their own in your garden.

Their colonies can be found in places such as compost heaps, banks under hedges and beneath garden decking. The nest is a ball of vegetation with wax cells inside it and usually contains no more than 150 bees.

Bumble bees are unlikely to sting unless you touch them or disturb their nest, in which case they will want to defend themselves from what they see as an attack.

After the summer, bumble bees die out and only the females survive by finding a suitable place to spend the winter so they can start new colonies in the spring.

If you see a swarm of bees in this country, you can be sure they are not bumble bees, as bumble bees do not swarm.

Honey bees

In this country, honey bees are the only type of bee that will swarm.

A swarm is a ball of bees, the size of a football or larger, that will move from place to place looking for a suitable place to nest. This can be a space such as a hollow in a tree or in a cavity in a building.

This usually happens during May, June and July.

Swarms can be found in trees, on buildings and around chimneys. If they are left alone they usually present no serious risk to humans or animals.

If a swarm settles and remains outside, you can contact a bee keeper who may be prepared to collect the swarm from you.

The simplest way to prevent a nest being established in buildings on your land is to make sure brickwork and pointing is in good condition, so there is no way for the bees to get into cavities of your buildings.

Masonry bees

Masonry bees, or mortar bees, are a similar colour to honey bees but they do not swarm.

Their natural habitat is in earth banks or soft exposed rocks, but they can tunnel into soft mortar joints of buildings, which is how they get their name.

Although they are harmless to human health as they cannot successfully sting humans, they can cause significant damage to a building over a number of years.

The best way of dealing with this is to make sure you keep the pointing and brickwork of your property well maintained and in good condition.

Contaminated land if defined in Part 2A of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 as "any land which appears to the local authority in whose area it is situated to be in such a condition, by reason of substances in or under the land, that significant harm is being caused or there is a significant possibility of such harm being caused, or pollution of controlled waters is being, or is likely to be caused".

It is important to note that land that does not fit the legal definition of contaminated land may still be affected by contaminants.

Showing 1 to 15 of 2