Do I need Building Regulations approval to replace the roof covering of my property?

Yes, where the loading upon the roof is to be increased by more than 15 percent, appropriate strengthening works or replacement of roofing members must be undertaken. However where the roof loading is to be significantly decreased, appropriate works to the roof structure and anchorage must be undertaken to prevent uplift of the roof under wind loading. The only exception to this is if the work is to be carried out and completed by a company registered on the following competent person scheme:-

  • NFRC (National Federation of Roofing Contractors Limited)