An application for Building Regulations Approval for the installation in a building of a system to produce electricity, heat or cooling, by micro generation or from renewable sources will be required, unless the installer is registered on one of the following Competent Person Schemes for the installation of micro generation and renewable technologies:-
- Association of Plumbing and Heating Contractors (Certification) Limited (APHC),
- Building Engineering Services Competence Accreditation Limited (BESCA),
- British Standards Institution (BSI),
- Benchmark Certification Limited (CORGI),
- ECA Certification Limited (ELECSA),
- HETAS Limited,
- NAPIT Registration Limited (NAPIT),
- Ascertiva Group Limited (NICEIC),
- Stroma Certification Limited (STROMA).
Please note that it is possible for the installer to be registered on one of the above competent person schemes but not be registered for works to micro generation and renewable technologies, it is therefore important that you ensure that their scheme registration is appropriate to the work that is to be undertaken.
- Recovering and repairing existing roofs and the Building Regulations
The following provides guidance with regard to the Building Regulations when re-covering or repairing pitched and flat roofs.
- Electrical Safety In and Around Dwellings
Guidance on electrical safety in dwellings as detailed in Approved Document P of the Building Regulations, routes to compliance, and information on competent person schemes with a search facility for registered contractors.
- New and Replacement Boilers
Information regarding the provision of new and replacement domestic central heating boilers, including a list of approved competent person schemes for gas, oil and solid fuel combustion appliances.
- Replacement Windows Doors and Roof-Lights
Information on the installation of replacement windows, doors and roof-lights and how to apply for building regulations consent.
- Wind and Solar Power Generator Installations
Information on wind and solar power generators in relation to Building Regulations requirements, with external links to grant funding and further information on renewable energy sources.
- Is Building Regulations approval required
Find out if Building Regulations Approval is required for your proposal and what works are exempt under schedule 2 of The Building Regulations.
- Competent Persons Schemes
Information about the competent persons schemes, with a link to the Department of Communities and Local Government website that provides a list of the current scheme providers and their contact details.
- Cavity Wall Insulation
Information regarding the injection of cavity wall insulation including routes to compliance and competent person schemes.