Skip to content

I am on Income Support/Income Based Job Seekers Allowance - Do I still need to make a claim for housing and council tax benefit to the Council?

The fact that you are in receipt of one of these benefits does not give an automatic entitlement to housing and council tax and a claim must always be submitted to the Council. When claiming Income Support or income based Job Seekers Allowance a housing and council tax benefit application form (called an HCTB1 form or Local Authority Input Document) is provided by the Department for Work and Pensions and should be completed and returned to them. They will pass that form to the Council but you are advised to check that the Council has received it.
Receipt of form HCTB1 or Local Authority Input Document, along with confirmation of entitlement to Income Support or income based Job Seekers Allowance, will usually, but not always, allow the Council to award housing benefit or council tax benefit without carrying out any further enquiries into your household or income. However, further information may be required (such as rent details) and you may be asked to provide this information by completing the Council's own housing and council tax benefit claim form.

Related Pages (9)

  • Council Tax Support

    This page provides information about the new Council Tax Support scheme for Oadby and Wigston Borough Council. The scheme has been approved by local members and comes into effect from 1 April 2013.

  • Council Tax Support Scheme

    The page provides details of the Council Tax Support Scheme which comes into effect from 1st April 2013. The scheme is based upon the Government's scheme, called the default scheme. This web page also includes summarised details of approved changes to the default scheme.

  • Discretionary Council Tax Support

    This page provides information about discretionary support that can be claimed to help people pay their Council Tax. The funding for this support is provided jointly by the County Council, Fire, Police and Oadby and Wigston Borough Council.

  • Housing benefit - backdating claims

    This page gives information on whether housing benefit and council tax support can be backdated to a date earlier than when you submitted your benefit application form.

  • Discretionary Payments

    This page contains details about Discretionary Housing Payments and Discretionary Council Tax Support Payments.

  • Help and advice about benefits

    Contact details for organisations giving help and advice on a range of benefits, including our helpline service for our residents offering advice on all types of benefits, not just those administered by us.

  • Information required to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

    This page deals with what information is required in order to assess a claim for housing and council tax support.

  • Landlords and Agents

    This page gives advice for Landlords and Agents with tenants who are claiming Housing Benefit. It also provides a leaflet to be downloaded with additional information.

  • Local Housing Allowance Rates

    This page gives the weekly the Local Housing Allowance rates for the current month and the previous month. These rates will be used when calculating your housing benefit.

Back to top