If you are a secure tenant of Oadby & Wigston Borough Council or an assured tenant of a Housing Association (Registered Provider) then there are several options available if you wish to move.

Introductory or starter tenants should always seek advice from Housing Options.

Seek an Exchange

If you want to exchange or swap your council property with another tenant, the first thing to do is to find a suitable exchange. You can apply to swap with another council tenant or housing association tenant. Exchanges are advertised on several subscription websites, including www.houseexchange.org.uk (free for OWBC secure tenants). The new House Exchange app is available from Apple and Android app stores.

Please be aware that:

  • You must apply to your landlord for permission to exchange.
  • Housing staff will take you through the process of completing the exchange.
  • You must not move until you receive official permission from your landlord.

Apply for a Transfer

You may apply for a transfer via the council’s Choice Based Lettings scheme. The scheme gives some additional preference to tenants affected by the bedroom tax and those suffering from overcrowding.

You may also apply directly to some housing associations.

Last updated: Monday, 6 July 2020 9:41 pm